Tuckova's Reviews > American Pastoral

Mar 11, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: pulitzer
Read in March, 2011

I didn't finish it. I realized that life is probably too short, and certainly I read too slowly, to spend another minute with Philip Roth. He's Jewish, did you know? JEWISH. Also, he is a man. Men have penises, did you know? PENISES! that are very important and special self-starting things, and when they don't work it is an AMERICAN TRAGEDY, and when they do, well they just do stuff and we observe all of that with some very pretty sentences that almost distract a person from how we're basically not talking about much. Also women are there sometimes but they are too complicated to figure out. Meanwhile, back at the penis. P.S. Having children is complicated, too. Girl children especially. The end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Pastoral.

message 1: by Tina (new)

Tina How are you so awesome?!

message 2: by Tahira (new)

Tahira Yeah, that's my problem(s) with PR too.

Mandy Enjoyed your comments a lot more than the book!

Lambert Did you even open the book?
Why rate something when you hate the author, or do you just rate all PR's books with 1 star?

Raven The best review I've read for a while. Plus it is completely accurate!

Emma Hilarious!

message 7: by Nate (new) - rated it 1 star

Nate Thank you!

Pete Marchetto ... and that's your lot, folks. One of the most acclaimed works of American literature - the tale of a circumcised willy.

Allegedly.

Paul Bryant "Meanwhile, back at the penis" - brilliant. Could use that to summarise Mr Roth's entire career.

Kinga Women are there to be the cause of the good man's downfall, of course. That's the only role they have in Roth's fiction.

message 11: by David (new)

David Streever should I read Roth at all? I've heard him described as an important American author, but I don't think I'm interested if it's just straight up sexist and reactionary in a conservative way.

Kinga David wrote: "should I read Roth at all? I've heard him described as an important American author, but I don't think I'm interested if it's just straight up sexist and reactionary in a conservative way."

I think it's worth reading about 1-3 books by him. He is important and he knows how to write. He is also sexist and repetitive.

message 13: by Paul (last edited Jul 07, 2014 06:39AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Paul Bryant David, he's not just considered to be an important writer, many people swear that he's the greatest living writer of English. His fans are legion. I am very much not a fan, but I would recommend Operation Shylock, it's a comedy about Israel, there are two Philip Roths in the book and no penises. It's great!

Kinga There aren't that many penises in American Pastoral either. Just in the beginning and that penis is superfluous and completely irrelevant to the story.

Tuckova I felt like the penis was THERE literally or metaphorically throughout; I think that Roth uses it to type.

Kinga wrote: "There aren't that many penises in American Pastoral either. Just in the beginning and that penis is superfluous and completely irrelevant to the story."

Kinga Haha. I just snorted on the tube. How can he type with his penis if the problem is the penis is never hard? :D

message 17: by Paul (last edited Jul 07, 2014 08:26AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Paul Bryant If it was hard he couldn't type with it either, unless he held the keyboard upside down. I apologise for such a vulgar thought but felt it could not go unexpressed.

message 18: by Barrett (new)

Barrett I live for your reviews!

message 19: by Karensa (new) - added it

Karensa I haven't read it yet but your review is excellent.

Jacob It's about Jewish people, so what? He also barely talks about sex. You could try reading the book.

message 21: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul Krasner What are you talking about? Did you read the book? There is no discussion of penises. Perhaps it is your desire for them that led you to this conclusion. Perhaps, you confused it with "Portnoy's Complaint". Just because you're unable to comprehend a sophisticated, high level book, doesn't mean you should diss' it. Just stick to Romance novels and you won't be frustrated.

Sylvia i wish people left well reasoned reviews, but when they don't, one just has to accept it and move on.

Spiros Here's how you write a review about a book you haven't even read: "I've heard from some other people that this author is sexist (all men are because they have male genitalia), and a Jew (need I say more?), and he always talks about his penis (I hate penises, they are so threatening to me). So it seems logical that this story shouldn't be any different than this. But, anyway, if you are really interested about the story here is a summary: Men that do stuff and we observe all of that with some very pretty sentences. The End. Also, I hate men."

message 24: by Iris (new) - rated it 5 stars

Iris Dorbian Did you actually read the book? Where on earth did you get the idea it was phallocentric when it's anything but? The story is a tragedy of an seemingly perfect American family gone seriously awry when the daughter joins a Weather Underground-like group. Then it focuses on the father's valiant efforts to find and save his fugitive daughter. It's a great, haunting literary work--probably one of the best novels I've read the last 20 years. And to you, it's all about penises? Projecting, huh?

Andrea Masotti Only ideology. Literature is very far from ideology. And this is high litrrature.

message 26: by Joey (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joey this is every book, you hater