Laura Hughes's Reviews > Fantasy-Faction Anthology

Fantasy-Faction Anthology by Marc Aplin

Feb 03, 2016

I've never really been interested in short stories before, but the cracking list of contributors in the Fantasy-Faction Anthology twisted my arm into giving it a go.

And - bloody hell! It's marvellous, packed with talent from cover to cover. Every entry in the anthology is enjoyably solid, and more than a few are simply fantastic. Best of all, there are no two stories alike. For instance, Edmund Wells' 'Oasis' and Miah Sonnel's 'The Dealer' both concern themselves with demons, heaven and hell: one is a pathos-filled gunslinger tale while the other is modern, wry and cynical, yet both are impeccably entertaining in their own unique way.

Meanwhile, Adrian Tchaikovsky's 'The House on the Old Cliffs' is at all times chilling and fascinating (I stayed up far, far past my bedtime because I couldn't bear not finishing this one). And the final two stories - 'The Autumn Mist' by Michael J. Sullivan and 'Overdue' by John Yeo Jr. - are totally dissimilar yet also practically perfect in every way.

And let's not forget the equally entertaining non-fiction offerings, all of which are frank and insightful (hardly surprising, since they come from the likes of Kameron Hurley and Richard Morgan).

There were one or two stories I inevitably found myself skimming through (I doubt there's an anthology in existence that contains stories that everyone loves), but on the whole I had a whale of a time with this one. I'll definitely be checking out other stories by the contributors: great job, guys!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fantasy-Faction Anthology.

February 3, 2016 – Started Reading
February 3, 2016 – Shelved
February 5, 2016 –
69.0% "Seriously digging this collection! Favourite stories so far:\n 'Oasis' by Edmund Wells\n 'The House on the Old Cliffs' by Adrian Tchaikovsky\n 'The Dealer' by Miah Sonnel"
February 6, 2016 – Finished Reading