Sara's Reviews > Give in to the Feeling

Give in to the Feeling by Sarah Zama

Actual Rating: 3.75 out of 4

Give In To The Feeling blends the allure of paranormal romance with the sensual, rebellious tone of the Prohibition era. Susie, a Chinese mail-order bride, has been satisfied with her new life in Chicago, working as the lead dancer in her lover Simon's speakeasy. Then, one night, two strangers arrive - and one of them, Blood, dances with Susie. While Susie feels torn between her attraction to Blood and her loyalty to Simon, she can't deny what she realizes Blood can offer: A relationship that allows her to express herself freely and make her own life choices. Yet it's not that simple with Simon. And over several nights, Susie learns that choosing between duty and desire could mean disrupting the spirit world - and courting the fury of a demon she had only heard of in children's stories.

I tend to skip paranormal romance, but Give In To The Feeling was a spellbinding exception. The presence of spirits and demons instead of other, overused species gives the story an ethereal, horror-tinged tone. Combined with the fun and seductive "Roaring Twenties" setting, this unique fantasy engages the senses and cues the jazz band in your head. And despite the story's briefness (approx. 18,000 words), there's enough time to connect with Susie so you can experience her emotions with her, especially her mounting fear toward the end. I would have liked to have learned more about Blood and his sidekick Michael, though. They seem to have their own otherworldly nature, but it's never really explained. The writing could have been tightened in spots, too, but that might have been addressed for the final version. All in all, Give In To The Feeling thrilled and captivated me, and I'm eager to see what else Sarah Zama has in store for readers.

NOTE: This will be released as an e-book on March 4, 2016. I received an advance copy from the author, and this has in no way influenced my opinion of the book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Give in to the Feeling.

February 3, 2016 – Shelved