Riley's Reviews > The School for Good and Evil

The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani

liked it
bookshelves: middle-grade, buddy-read

3.5
Overall I enjoyed this book. The story was really fun and I liked the way the author played around with fairytale tropes. But what killed it for me was the pacing. It took forever to read because I would read 50 pages but it would feel like 200. And the plot switched between moving too fast and too slow.
I will continue with the next book though since I am invested in the characters but I think I will listen to it on audio because reading this book felt like a workout and I don't have that kind of energy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The School for Good and Evil.

June 10, 2015 –
page 55
11.27% "This would make a really good movie"
June 10, 2015 –
page 92
18.85% "I'm going back and forth between reading and listening to the audiobook"
February 3, 2016 – Started Reading
February 3, 2016 – Shelved
February 4, 2016 –
page 125
25.61% "I'm really loving the way the author plays around with fairytale tropes. Also the attention to detail is incredible! I can really picture everything perfectly"
February 4, 2016 –
page 164
33.61% "Even though he is probably 12 years old I am picturing Tedros as Chris Pine from Into the Woods."
February 5, 2016 –
page 197
40.37% "Well thanks to Lainey I now ship Agatha and Sophie. Even though idk if a middle grade book would go there, I really hope it does!"
February 5, 2016 –
page 249
51.02% "So at this point I'm pretty much in love with this book and I'm very mad that I've owned it for almost a year and am just now reading it"
February 7, 2016 –
page 282
57.79% "wooooow sophie. really? I was rooting for you."
February 7, 2016 –
page 340
69.67% "Thoughts after that chapter:\n 1. Agatha is a precious princess \n 2. If I ever met Sophie I'd want to kill her too"
February 17, 2016 – Finished Reading