Angie's Reviews > A Discovery of Witches

Mar 10, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: epubs
Read in May, 2011

I hate saying this... but man I did not like this book. I wanted to like it. I really did. So many people love love this book. I tried so hard to like it. But it just was a grown up twilight for me. It was slow to me. I loved the idea of the book. Witches, Vampires, Deamons! But there was just so much detail. What wine are you drinking, what does it taste like, what does it smell like? Ughhh if I had to read about wine again I might have thrown my book across the room, but since I was reading on my Nook I couldn't. Just glad to be done with the book!

Quotes Angie Liked

Deborah Harkness
“Sorry, we've got ghosts.”
Deborah Harkness, A Discovery of Witches

04/25/2011 page 30
05/13/2011 page 470
81.0% "HOME STRETCH!"
03/12/2016 marked as: read
show 7 hidden updates…

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn This one sounds really interesting!!!

Tami Really??? Oh well, to each their own right? Maybe the build up was just too much to live up too. I do see how the descriptiveness could get to you. It got on my nerves from time to time as well. :-)

message 3: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Guess the premise was better than the execution! :-(

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann Glad you didn't hurt your Nook ;-)

message 5: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana I bet it sucks to end up giving a book 1 star after reading all those 600 pages of it!

Angie Tatiana wrote: "I bet it sucks to end up giving a book 1 star after reading all those 600 pages of it!"

TOTALLY!!!!!!! ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Angie Tami wrote: "Really??? Oh well, to each their own right? Maybe the build up was just too much to live up too. I do see how the descriptiveness could get to you. It got on my nerves from time to time as well. :-)"

Yea the author just kept describing this and that this and that. But I liked the beginning. Does that count?

Emmarose I'm with you Angie. I enjoy detail but this was drivel. I like you, loved the idea of witches and other 'creatures' but the story became so burdened down by mindless BORING repetitive details. Waayyyyyyyy too much info about the tea she was drinking, the wine she was tasting, the clothes she was wearing, etc. The only spell this book cast was one of insomnia.

Caryn Totally agree! I am trudging through this book right now and am really trying to like it, but the details are killing me!

message 10: by Tori (new) - rated it 1 star

Tori Oh yeah the wine smelling parts turned me OFF! God it's like who cares!? You'd think vampires would have more interesting hobbies than sniffing wine and doing yoga.

message 11: by Angie (new) - rated it 1 star