Sara 's Reviews > Trial by Fire

Trial by Fire by B.A. Tortuga

I reckon I should tell y’all how sweet this story is and it was. So sit back and lend this ginger your ear for spell.

I am not going to go into great detail with my review on this book. I am a firm believer that telling you what happens in the book, things that made me surprised should be left to each individual reader so I am gonna hit a few points and let sleeping babies lie in the arms of adorable, rugged and sexy cowboys. You ready? You best get your aww faces on...

When Holden’s twin brother Landon and sister in law Addie die in a plane crash, Holden becomes the one to care for his niece Chloe being left guardianship over the little baby.  But as much as Holden loves his niece,  he is a bit in over his head with running his cattle business,  taking care of a baby, dealing with his aging parents and then a fast talking Aussie comes into the picture with a punch or um,  yeah.

Lachlan, said Aussie, has been searching for his sister Adelaide who ran away from the oppression that comes with the family business only to be met with bad news. She died in a plane crash with her husband, leaving behind one baby girl. When Lachlan arrives in Texas determined to meet his niece and take her back with him, he realizes this family he judged on reputation alone, might not be the worst place for Chloe.
No one knew how he felt but this man right here.

Now, I know I said to get your aww faces on, which is true but this was also a bittersweet story when you remember the catalyst that has brought Holden and Lachlan together with Chloe between them. There is loss here, for both men and both families and that loss, it’s presented in a lovely way that allows the reader to feel and also heal.

This is a story about family and a story about doing what’s best for the greater good and that good is baby Chloe. I loved how she was front and center for the story and how much love she draws to her. Holden is a great daddy, he will move the world for his niece and make sure he does everything in his power to do right by her late parents, even if that means pushing away her relatives from the Land of Oz.  And then you have Lachlan who has come to Texas, determined that Miss Chloe needs to be with her mother’s family, that they have lost so much of Addie already, they cannot miss out on being a part of her daughter’s life.

The men have a rough beginning with one another and yet they are able to put that all behind then and focus as much on the now but not letting go of the past that has brought them together. During a argumentative family moment,  a storm hits that leads to an acknowledged shared grief, where a small touch ignites more than either man know was there and sets the barn on fire... Mmm Hmm. But then, you know things happen and regardless of guilt or innocence, these two cowboys are put to a painful task that makes them lean on each other in more ways than one.

Trial by Fire, or as I like to call it, two cowboys and a baby, was a sweet, steady and yet wild ride that teaches you about second chances and the true meaning of family. Get your aww faces read to watch an Aussie and a Yank fall head over spurs for a tiny baby girl as they fall into each other’s arms.

“Do you think it’ll ever be less odd? Life, I mean.”

“I think we’ll find a new normal.”

description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trial by Fire.

February 2, 2016 – Shelved
February 2, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
March 10, 2016 – Started Reading
March 10, 2016 –
0.0% "Two Cowboys and a baby? Getting my Aww face ready."
March 10, 2016 –
March 12, 2016 –
25.0% "Daww. Here we go...

"Dónde está la niña?”
“With her Uncle Lachlan.”
"