pax's Reviews > DarkShip Thieves

DarkShip Thieves by Sarah A. Hoyt

Mar 10, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: 2011, lit-usa-canada, science-fiction, own-english, women-of-sf-project, female-writers
Read from March 10 to 19, 2011

That book was phenomenal. I've not read something that bad for quite a while, I guess since I was 14, working my way through the sff shelf of our library, reading simply everything that came under my hands. The worldbuilding is sloppy, the plot that of a dime novel, the characters resemble cardboard figures, the style is between terrible and non-existent and everything is full of badly used tropes. I'm at loss where to start with examples of what went wrong with the book. Or how an editor might have let this thing through. Let me give you a few minor examples, since the big problems are too big and too many and would require a longer review than this book is worth of:

"Besides, all my shots for STDs were up to date"

-- this is not a pretty, but per se inconspicuous sentence. If it only weren't followed by another one half a page later:

"I was truly glad my STD shots were up to date."

-- yeah, yeah - I got it the first time. And even then the info was unnecessary! And things like this happen all the time.

Or another one: glass flowing? A simple look at wikipedia - I don't even speak of proper research - shows that this is an urban legend. Asteroid on irregular orbits? Yeah ... I dearly love science fiction when properly done, but there is only much disbelief I can suspend. This might have worked for a book written in the Golden Age of SF, but that was a few generations ago.

Or this: our heroine in naked and has to hide a burner. She cannot do so in her hair, because she does not have any at this point. So:

I hid the burned. Nobody's business where. Probably not nearly as thrilling as most people will think, but at any rate, it is a trade secret of sorts, and besides, I might need to hide it there again.

-- Erm, well - that's the laziest excuse I ever heard in a book when an author does not know how to manoeuvre out of a situation they themselves created.

And I don't even want to start on consistency - so does one need days or week to get to Circum? How hard and fire-resistant is dimatough? And so on.

In short: this book is a complete loss of time and money. Or also: one of those books which give SF its bad reputation. Pick another one - any other one, the chances that you'll get something better are very high.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read DarkShip Thieves.

02/07/2016 marked as: read

Leyla Hurray! Somebody agrees with me!