Limonessa's Reviews > Finnikin of the Rock

Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta

bookshelves: ebook, australian, favorites, fantasy

"Everything is evil that humans can't control or conquer"

What kind of book is Finnikin of the Rock?

It's a fantasy book. Evidently.
It's a love story. Certainly.
But not only.

It all starts with three friends, a prophetic dream and a blood pledge.
It continues with an invasion, a terrible curse and the struggle of one people to take back what they lost.

For me Finnikin of the Rock is a book about identities. About a people, the Lumaterans, losing their national identity and fighting to get it back, about a man who's been imprisoned for 10 years and has lost his identity, about a girl who is concealing hers to save her country and about a boy who really doesn't know who he is.

In unmistakeable Marchetta's style, we are presented with a book that not only has got an intriguing plot, is full of action scenes, adventure, amazing and detailed worldbuilding, and as usual, characterization like only Marchetta can do, but also with a book with an underlying message that goes beyond our mere entertainment as readers.
It is a condemnation of war and of its horrors, it denounces persecutions for political, ethnic or religious reasons, it opens a window on people, at any latitude and climate, whose dignity has been taken away together with their homeland.
The words mass graves and ethnical cleansing are words which will be stuck in your throat during some passages of this book and I dare you not feel compassionate for the Lumateran people.

So, end in end, this is a book that is only disguised as fantasy but that, in reality, is well above that.
It's probably superfluous to say that I really loved this book and I can't wait to read its sequel coming out in October.

My favorite passage:

"Because without our language, we have lost ourselves. Who are we without our words?"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finnikin of the Rock.

March 10, 2011 – Shelved
August 11, 2011 – Started Reading
August 11, 2011 –
0.0% "Starting today with Flannery and Maja. Attempt #2."
August 14, 2011 –
August 14, 2011 – Finished Reading

Amber I still need to read this one. maybe i should just buy it so it stares at me until I actually read it!

Eric @Amber, that would be hilarious, just saying.

Limonessa Hopefully we will write gushing reviews Amber and you'll be tempted.

Nalnac YAY!! I am so happy you are reading this!I hope you LOVE it as much as I did :)

Lora Maja must've really liked that passage, too.

Great review, Lisa. I can't wait to read this. :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) ... and so it hatched... :D

Lora, you're right! But the entire book was amazing.

Limonessa I'm sure she did :D
Thanks Lora, I hope you enjoy it too. Or I will never talk to you again. :D :D

Limonessa Maja wrote: "... and so it hatched... :D

Lora, you're right! But the entire book was amazing."

Maja, I kind of had to crack it open and take out the recalcitrant chick. But really, I should have done like you and just left it. Everything I wrote felt banal.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Pfft. I actually think it's very insightful.

message 10: by Lora (last edited Aug 18, 2011 07:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lora @Maja - I knew I would be^^ Everything I've read from Marchetta has been amazing so far, so that doesn't surprise me.

@Lisa - LOL I'm sure I will :)

Arlene Great review Lisa. I liked the angle you chose to review it from. This was the first Marchetta book I read and have been hooked ever since. So glad you enjoyed it as well. :)

Limonessa Thanks Arlene! My first Marchetta book was Jellicoe Road and I definitely need to re-read it soon.
Can't wait for Froi of the Exiles!

Arlene I will definitely be re-reading Jellicoe Road before the year is out.

Oh me too! I think the crowd eagerly waiting for Froi is growing by the minute. :)

Anna [Floanne] This one sounds amazingly good and, as you are my best book adviser, I cannot but add it to my list (together with its sequel, obviously)!

Chachic Lisa, I bumped this one up the TBR pile and I'm currently reading it along with two blogging buddies. I remember you commented and said that I should read it ASAP.

Basuhi Great review Lisa !
This book was about identity and how one could have possible held on to it. It was a sad tale of the people who no longed for something they no longer considered within their reach.
Capturing that part of the people was an amazing feat.