Arlene's Reviews > Sugar

Sugar by Bernice L. McFadden

bookshelves: readsoullit, favorites
Recommended for: yes!!

I think this might just be a new favorite of mines.

Sugar, was a fantastic novel. It was a great novel. I enjoyed the friendship dynamic btw Sugar and Pearl. And the underlining story behind what I felt that made their friendship even stronger, spoilers and all. I'm glad that somethings, that went with that underlining story did not happen, even though some characters wanted it to happen. ( I know that sounds crazy, but I'm trying to keep it spoiler free) I was actually jealous of the friendship, in a way that I wished that I too was a resident of Bigelow. I wished that I could be their third musketeer and be apart of the friendship these two women shared. The section, where Joe had left for Florida and Pearl and Sugar's relationship really bloomed was probably my favorite part. The heartache, the struggles. I loved seeing Sugar grow as a character, as a woman in the book. Her experiences in the big cities and her relationship with Mary and Marcy were harsh but I have always thought that God puts people in your life at the right time, and at that time you can learn from all that has happened, the good and the bad. Mary was both the good and the bad for Sugar, and I think she go a taste of what family, and being apart of something bigger that herself meant.

The ending of the book left me wanting more. Left me craving for more Sugar. What happened after she left town, what happened to Pearl and Joe? Will she ever see them again. Does anyone pick up those pieces of paper she let fly in the wind holding such a huge secret? Well I think it's definitely clear that I will be reading the sequel, This Bitter Earth in the up coming months.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sugar.

February 2, 2016 – Shelved
February 2, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
February 21, 2016 – Started Reading
February 21, 2016 – Shelved as: readsoullit
February 21, 2016 –
page 12
5.24% "This book has hooked me right from jump. The pain that Pearl must be feeling, is unimaginable. She's not even a real person and I'm found myself praying that she felt better soon. That somehow she would feel comfort in the fact that her daughter is no longer suffering."
February 21, 2016 –
page 21
9.17% "I like Joe. It takes a strong man to have a nation hate you for being the color that you are, go and fight for a country that calls you everything but your name, and then sooth the dying man next to you who wouldnt so much as spit on you if you were on fire."
page 59
25.76% "I've been dragging in reading this book due to my school work, but every time I pick it up, I'm so happy that I did. I know one thing tho, Idk if I could just laugh when someone slaps some pie out my hands in lands swiftly on my head. #Pearlmightbebetterthanme"
page 79
34.5% "Pearl is a ride or die friend. I can see that now."
page 100
page 135
58.95% "Hahahahah. Her first hangover at sixty."
page 140
61.14% "that was beautiful."
page 150
February 28, 2016 –
page 175
76.42% "wait, so does this mean....Joe?"
February 28, 2016 –
page 208
90.83% "Come on Sugar!!! Really!!!??!"
February 29, 2016 – Shelved as: favorites
February 29, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Sarah I just finished and felt the same leaving this book at the end. What an incredible story.