Linda's Reviews > The Cracked Spine

The Cracked Spine by Paige Shelton

bookshelves: 2016-cozy-mystery, cozy-mystery, mystery

Are you ready to be swept into an adventure abroad that will invigorate your imagination? Open this book and enter a far-away land with Delaney Nichols as she moves from Kansas to Scotland taking a job at The Cracked Spine--a rare book and manuscript shop located in Edinburgh.

Welcomed by a friendly cab driver, Elias; then by two shop employees, Hamlet and Rosie, who's always accompanied by her cute Yorkie, Hector; Delaney's new life has begun. She has a quirky 'talent' that helps her when she's around books. Her employer, Edwin MacAlister, is aristocratic, vastly wealthy, and quite mysterious. He plans to teach Delaney the process of his business of procuring and collecting valuables which she finds both intriguing and confusing. Edwin is part of a group whose dealings are very secretive. Shortly after Delaney's arrival in Scotland, Edwin's sister, Jenny, is found brutally murdered. Left in her keeping was a priceless first Folio of Shakespeare's work, and now it's missing. Many of Jenny's friends are shady characters. Edwin's circle acts suspicious of Jenny and her actions while the Folio was in her possession. Delaney doesn't know anyone all that well, but determinedly puts her trust in Elias and his wife, Aggie, and her co-workers, to help her assist Edwin track down his sister's killer and locate the rare Folio.

As I read this story, I traveled to a foreign country, alongside Delaney, to work at a dream job surrounded by books. I found mystery and adventure, and warm, welcoming new friends. This story comes alive with Scottish accents that are not to difficult to understand. It slows the reading a little, but the story is so enchanting I wanted to read slower so I could savor all the small details.

I received a complimentary ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cracked Spine.

September 16, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read (ebook Edition)
September 16, 2015 – Shelved (ebook Edition)
February 2, 2016 – Started Reading