Krista the Krazy Kataloguer's Reviews > Square Cat

Square Cat by Elizabeth Schoonmaker

bookshelves: read-cat-books, read-childrens-books

More than just a story about being different, this is also a sweet story of true friendship. Eula is a square cat when everyone around her, including her two friends Patsy and Maude, are round. Eula's self-esteem is low, as she doesn't seem to fit in and can only see the negative aspects of being square. However, her friends show their genuine love for their friend first, by trying to make her feel round, and then by trying to look like her so that she'll fit in, by showing her positive things about being square, and helping her dress attractively. This touching story would make a great readaloud and should generate some discussion if used in a classroom. I've got to add this one to my collection! Highly recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Square Cat.

March 10, 2011 – Shelved
Started Reading
September 1, 2011 – Finished Reading
September 5, 2011 – Shelved as: read-cat-books
September 5, 2011 – Shelved as: read-childrens-books

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Christina (new)

Christina A teacher I worked with last year has children who go to Westmoreland Elementary. She participates in the PTO, and invited me to an event they had at Barnes and Noble to promote their PARP program..Elizabeth did the book talk of Square Cat during the event! The children loved the book! This book is so good I bought a copy and had Elizabeth sign it!

Teachers and librarians can read this book at the beginning of the year as part of the school's character education program! The book can also be used if a child is being teased...and you need a discussion on how to treat others...

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer Do you happen to know where Elizabeth lives? All I can find is "upstate New York". How lucky you are to have met her! I hope she writes many more good books.

message 3: by Christina (new)

Christina I don't know where Elizabeth lives, but I thought that I heard somewhere that she lives in the area..I believe she did the book talk free or for a fairly decent price since she already lives in the area..Her book talk was good too since she didn't bore the children with too many details! I hope she writes more books too!

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer Too bad she's not on Goodreads--then we could "friend" her. I did find, however, that "Eula the Cat" has her own web page! Have you seen it?

message 5: by Christina (new)

Christina I wish she was on Goodreads! I didn't see that website, so I went on it...I love how you can write to "Square Cat"..What a neat way for students to connect to an author!