Leah's Reviews > The Serpent Slayer: And Other Stories of Strong Women

The Serpent Slayer by Katrin Hyman Tchana

Retold by Katrin Hyman Tchana, daughter of the collection's illustrator, Caldecott Medal winner Trina Schart Hyman.

"This book is a collection of fairy tales that are -- sort of -- from around the world. Sort of, because there aren't stories here from every country in the world or even every continent."

What I loved most about The Serpent Slayer and Other Stories of Strong Women was how colorful it was: both its illustrations and its heroes. Compared to Not One Damsel in Distress: World Folktales for Strong Girls, Serpent Slayer felt more diverse with its sources and characters' ethnicity.

Also, contrary to what Yolen said about genderizing hero in Not One Damsel in Distress, these two embrace heroines.

"The stories in this collection are about women and girls who find themselves in difficult circumstances and respond in brave, clever, and thoughtful ways. Most collections of folk and fairy tales are collections of stories that remind us how to be heroes. But these stories are all about heroines. A heroine's experience is different from that of a hero's, for woman's experience of life through the ages has been different from man's. We believe we need more books that reflect that experience."

Recommended to all ages.

4 stars

All eighteen tales with the countries or continent from which they were based if it was mentioned in the "Source Notes" at the back of the book:

The Serpent Slayer (China)
The Barber's Wife (India)
Nesoowa and the Chenoo (North America/the Wabanaki)
Clever Marcela (Phillipines; Chile)
Sister Lace (China)
The Rebel Princess (Poland/Jewish)
Beebyeebyee and the Water God (Cameroon)
Kate Crackernuts (none specified but I think it's Scottish)
The Old Woman and the Devil (Egypt; Sudan; Asia)
The Magic Lake (Latin America)
Grandmother's Skull (North America/the Inuit and Yupik peoples)
Three Whiskers from a Lion's Chin (Egypt; Sudan; Asia)
Duffy the Lady (England)
Sun-Girl and Dragon-Prince (Armenia)
Staver and Vassilissa (none specified but I think it's Russian)
Tokoyo (Japan)
The Lord's Daughter and the Blacksmith's Sea (Scotland)
The Marriage of Two Masters (Gambia; Jewish; Egypt; Sudan)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Serpent Slayer.

January 6, 2016 – Started Reading