Karina Read's Reviews > The Painted Man

The Painted Man by Peter V. Brett

The book is really fun. I really enjoyed reading it and already have the second one ready to go. The characters were well developed and the pacing was perfect, even when following my least favourite protagonist (Rojer) i still wanted to keep reading. The world building and magic is fascinating and I’m looking forward to exploring more.

However. There are a few niggles that prevent me from giving all 5 stars. While the writing started out strong, it got quite clumsy in the last third. It wasn’t terrible, but it was noticeably weaker. There was an especially awkward scene where the characters were discussing their ages and it was clearly just there for the readers to remember the ages. There were also quite a few instances where characters had epiphanies about themselves/the world that again, felt like they were there to spell it out for the reader. We’re not stupid, we get it.

And lastly, the more I read, the more critical I became of the female representations in this book. There are plenty of female characters, but i’ll leave it to you to decide how you feel about their portrayals....

PS. For anyone that’s read Son of the Shadows by Juliet Marillier, Arlen is essentially Bran. With that comparison floating in my mind, I couldn’t help but have a huge soft spot for him

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Painted Man.

February 2, 2016 – Shelved
February 2, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
July 15, 2018 – Started Reading
July 16, 2018 –
page 153
28.13% "Yes Erny!! I love Bruna too 🙌🏻"
July 21, 2018 – Finished Reading