Chris's Reviews > Surrender of a Siren

Mar 10, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: romance
Read in January, 2011

The second in a trilogy "Surrender of a Siren" is not as good as the first ("Goddess of the Hunt").

The first book was recommended to me by my local library, so I tried it. I liked it -- not loved it -- but decided to give Dare another shot. This one was ok, but I'm not wasting my time with the last in the trilogy "A Lady of Persuasion."

Once again, it had the typical 20 year old virgin and 30 year old rake. In this case the rake is basically a pirate. WOW -- never read that before! (read sarcasm here). What this book had going for it was a really great heroine. At one point, Sophia says to Gray, "People like us don't follow the rules." And despite outward appearances, Sophia just can't follow the rules and be true to herself. She takes action and doesn't just talk about it (like most characters in these novels). Sophia isn't a victim -- she chooses her future.

The relationships that Sophia forms with the crew are really interesting. However, the ending (a court scene I will not go into) is ridiculous and almost ruins the book.

This is not as good as the first, however, if you decide to read it, you really should read it in order. Sophia makes her appearance in the first book and it gives you some background as to why she would do what she did in this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Surrender of a Siren.