Robin (Bridge Four)'s Reviews > The Great Hunt

The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan

If you’ve read a few reviews by me you might know that I’m a huge fan of Brandon Sanderson. This is one reason that 2016 is the year of the Wheel for me since Sanderson finished out this series. As I move along in this series I can see how BS got some of his roots from Jordan. They distinctively have different voices to be sure but one of the reasons I’m enjoying The Wheel of Time series is because of the intricate world building that is going on and the layers that are being set up.

This book is over twenty years old but you can’t really tell and that is one of the coolest things about fantasy is they can stand up to the test of time since there is an entire new world in every single one and so it never really feels dated.

The Eye of the World reminded me of The Lord of the Rings in quite a few ways and while for the most part The Great Hunt is moving away from that feeling there is still one part that very much reminded me of Tolkien. The Great Hunt is all about the Horn of Valere. Whoever blows the horn calls an army of dead heroes to fight with them….I’m pretty sure I saw that somewhere else.

description

But that is about the only thing that really reminded me of LotRs this time around.

The world continues to get a little bigger for our group from The Two Rivers. There are new people, customs, places and danger seems to be EVERYWHERE. It seems that most of the book is about Rand since he seems to be the very reluctant and ridiculously stubborn hero. Temptations abound as various characters try to pull him into their machinations including a new beautiful woman Selene. I hated her immediately and seriously why does every woman (except Nynaeve of course) need to be in love with Rand??? Why can’t Perrin or Mat find someone interested in them??? I was sure I knew who she really was from the beginning and that can be nothing but trouble for Rand so I hope all the stubbornness pays off in the end.

Rand struggles with the fate that keeps calling him. He is so hell bent on going the opposite direction the Aes Sadai wants him to go he is easy to manipulate.
“I have purposely let him think I no longer have any interest in him, that he may go where he pleases for all of me.” She raised her hands as the Amyrlin opened her mouth. “It was necessary, Siuan. Rand al’Thor was raised in the Two Rivers, where Manetheren’s stubborn blood flows in every vein, and his own blood is like rock beside clay compared to Manetheren’s. He must be handled gently, or he will bolt in any direction but the one we want.”

All the people from the Two Rivers seem to be incredibly naïve, except Nynaeve and I can’t help but yell at them sometimes in my head for the choices they make.

While Rand’s Journey was pretty interesting especially to the final showdown in the book I liked learning about the rituals and training of the Aes Sadai more. Nynaeve and Egwene’s time at the white tower and after was probably the most interesting part of the story for me. Learning what trials Nynaeve had to go through for part of her training was so intense and actually a little heartbreaking.
“I do not know what is happening, Nynaeve, but I feel as if I were losing you. I could not bear that.” He put a hand in her hair; closing her eyes, she pressed her cheek against his fingers. “Stay with me, always.”

But the run in with the Seanchan and learning what they do with women who can channel was the most horrible and intense thing in the book for me. Egwene and Nynaeve have come far from where they started out and I’m very interested in seeing what becomes of them as the books continue.

Best side character for me is Loial. The Ogier is a great addition and I really enjoyed going into another stedding and meeting a few other Ogier. Plus could it be that Loial might have a crush. If that wasn’t the cutest thing ever I don’t know what it.

description

A few issues I had

They are really silly but I find this with quite a few older high fantasy novels. People know each other for a few pages and BOOM they are in love or speaking of marriage and such. Lan and Nynaeve are a good example of this. I like that they have this longing and forbidden romance of sorts happening between them. I’m a girl and I really like a little romance with my fantasy but I also like a little build up. Still at least there is a little bit on the romance side of life and I am rooting for them even though there wasn’t much build up.
“I must go now, Nynaeve mashiara. The Amyrlin wishes to leave before midday, and there is much yet to be done. Perhaps we will have time to talk on the journey to Tar Valon.” He turned and was gone, striding down the hall. Nynaeve touched her cheek. She could still feel where he had touched her. Mashiara. Beloved of heart and soul, it meant, but a love lost, too. Lost beyond regaining.

The other issue I sometimes have is that it seems like every core member suffers from what my friend Gavin coined quite well Two Rivers Idiocy. At some key moment in the book one of the crew from The Two Rivers will do something that is completely stupid. ’Hey we need to sneak out of here under no circumstances use magic. Two paragraphs later: ’Draws in all the magic to use it. *sigh*.

Overall

This is good Epic High Fantasy. Sure there are smaller stories arcs being told but there are prophecies to be confronted and evil to destroy. There are epic journeys that need to be taken and bad guys all over the place, some of them even think they are the good guys White Cloaks I’m looking at you.

If you enjoy epic journeys then this series seems to be exactly what you are looking for. Plus good news is that it is finished no waiting years between books.

Audio Note: Kate Reading and Michael Kramer (who also do The Stormlight Archives by Brandon Sanderson *wink, wink*) are fantastic. This is very well performed if you are a fan of audio.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Hunt.

February 1, 2016 – Started Reading
February 1, 2016 – Shelved
February 1, 2016 –
8.0% "“My mother,” she said firmly, “always told me the best way to learn to deal with a man was to learn to ride a mule. She said they have about equal brains most of the time. Sometimes the mule is smarter.”\n \n Haha...that seems fitting for the stubbornness that Rand sometimes exhibits."
February 3, 2016 –
12.0% "“I have purposely let him think I no longer have any interest in him, that he may go where he pleases for all of me.” She raised her hands as the Amyrlin opened her mouth. “It was necessary, Siuan. Rand al’Thor was raised in the Two Rivers, where Manetheren’s stubborn blood flows in every vein, and his own blood is like rock beside clay compared to Manetheren’s. He must be handled gently, or he will bolt"
February 3, 2016 –
22.0% "Nynaeve touched her cheek. She could still feel where he had touched her. Mashiara. Beloved of heart and soul, it meant, but a love lost, too. Lost beyond regaining.\n \n But...but...but he gave her a his ring that has to mean something. I totally ship them."
February 6, 2016 –
30.0% "“You came because of the dagger?” Mat said quietly. He rubbed his nose and grimaced.\n “I never thought of that. I never thought you wanted to. . . . Aaaah! Are you feeling all right? I mean, you aren’t going mad already, are you?”\n Rand dug a pebble out of the ground and threw it at him.\n “Ouch!” Mat rubbed his arm. “I was just asking. I mean, all those fancy clothes, and all that talk about being a lord."
February 17, 2016 –
44.0% "Women often seemed to leave things unsaid, and in his limited experience it was what they did not say that proved the most trouble.\n \n If only Perrin was there with you Rand....he could tell you what she meant. *snickers*"
February 18, 2016 –
62.0% ""What if I refuse them both?”\n “It won’t work, my Lord. Every last House has sent you an invitation, now. If you decline these—well, for sure at least one of the other Houses will figure, if you’re not allied with the King or Lord Barthanes, then they can answer your insult of burning their invitation. My Lord, I hear the Houses in Cairhien use killers, now. A knife in the street. An arrow from a rooftop. Poison"
February 20, 2016 –
73.0% "If a girl sees a boy she likes, she goes to her mother. Or sometimes the mother sees someone she thinks is suitable. In any case, if they agree, the girl’s mother goes to the boy’s mother, and the next thing the boy knows, his marriage is all arranged.”\n “Doesn’t the boy have any say in it?” Mat asked incredulously. \n “None. The women always say we would spend our lives married to the trees if it was left to us.”"
February 22, 2016 –
88.0% "“Where are you . . . we . . . going?” Seta said, quickly adding, “If I may ask?”\n “Into the lions’ den,” Elayne told her.\n “To dance with the Dark One,” Min said.\n Nynaeve sighed and shook her head. “What they are trying to say is, we are going where all the damane are kept, and we intend to free one of them.”\n \n YES! it is about time"
February 23, 2016 –
93.0% "Death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain. So many duties. Egwene. The Horn. Fain. Mat and his dagger. Why can’t there just be one at a time? I have to take care of all of them.\n \n Heavy burdens all."
March 2, 2016 – Shelved as: awesome-audio
March 2, 2016 – Shelved as: fantastic-fantasy
March 2, 2016 – Shelved as: super-sidekicks
March 2, 2016 – Shelved as: witches-warlocks-and-magic
March 2, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)

Ginger I am listening to this audio right now :)
Excellent review!

Robin (Bridge Four) Ginger wrote: "I am listening to this audio right now :)
Excellent review!"

Thanks. The audio is really well produced for sure.

Happy listening

message 3: by Tim (new)

Tim really good review :D

Robin (Bridge Four) Tim wrote: "really good review :D"

Thanks Tim :)

message 5: by Tim (new)

Tim um quick question what book do u think is good for a 14 year old :)

Robin (Bridge Four) Tim wrote: "um quick question what book do u think is good for a 14 year old :)"

Do they like fantasy??? And boy or girl. I only ask since girls that age tend to like a little kissing in their reading and boys more action.

message 7: by Tim (new)

Tim boy and he likes sports and action :)

message 8: by JDR (new) - rated it 3 stars

JDR All people are different. Try to discern from his personality.

Robin (Bridge Four) Dux wrote: "All people are different. Try to discern from his personality.

Also, The Great Hunt was my favorite in the series. I'll never forget the last 100 pages."

The last 100 pages were so good. Everything coming together at the end was crazy.

message 10: by Robin (last edited Mar 02, 2016 02:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Robin (Bridge Four) Tim wrote: "boy and he likes sports and action :)"

Okay Tim....you asked so here we go...

Steelheart (Reckoners, #1) by Brandon Sanderson Firefight (Reckoners, #2) by Brandon Sanderson Firefight (Reckoners, #2) by Brandon Sanderson = Evil Superheroes

Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman UnWholly (Unwind, #2) by Neal Shusterman UnSouled (Unwind, #3) by Neal Shusterman UnDivided (Unwind, #4) by Neal Shusterman = wierd dystopian world with a boy on the run and some fast and crazy events.

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2) by Rick Riordan The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3) by Rick Riordan The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4) by Rick Riordan The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5) by Rick Riordan = Great humor, fun stories and full of action. Do not let the movies fool you this are soooo good.

The Demon King (Seven Realms, #1) by Cinda Williams Chima The Exiled Queen (Seven Realms, #2) by Cinda Williams Chima The Gray Wolf Throne (Seven Realms, #3) by Cinda Williams Chima The Crimson Crown (Seven Realms, #4) by Cinda Williams Chima = Straight up YA fantasy. Very well done but sometimes a little slower of a read.

A World Without Heroes (Beyonders, #1) by Brandon Mull Seeds of Rebellion (Beyonders, #2) by Brandon Mull Chasing the Prophecy (Beyonders, #3) by Brandon Mull = Underrated YA fantasy and it is a pretty fast paced story with some great characters.

Last but definitely not least. These are on my short list to read this summer but I have not read them yet is....

Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians (Alcatraz, #1) by Brandon Sanderson Alcatraz Versus the Scrivener's Bones (Alcatraz, #2) by Brandon Sanderson Alcatraz Versus the Knights of Crystallia (Alcatraz, #3) by Brandon Sanderson Alcatraz Versus the Shattered Lens (Alcatraz, #4) by Brandon Sanderson The Dark Talent (Alcatraz, #5) by Brandon Sanderson and I think the final one will come out in August. (which is why I'm waiting)

Choko Great review for a great series!!!

message 12: by P (new)

P I love your list above, Robin ! I want to start Steelheart right now but I have to work. T_T

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) You? A Sanderson fan? Oh please don't be silly, Robin.

Robin (Bridge Four) P.Z. wrote: "I love your list above, Robin ! I want to start Steelheart right now but I have to work. T_T"

Damn work...if I didn't need money for books and food, but mostly books, I wouldn't even bother with it :P

Hope you get to the series soon. It was a lot of fun.

I was pretty proud of my 14 year old boy book list :P

Robin (Bridge Four) ✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) wrote: "You? A Sanderson fan? Oh please don't be silly, Robin."

Well....idk. I mean I've heard of the guy and he puts out a lot of books so.....

Ginger Thanks for the suggestions on fantasy books. I have a 14 year old that likes to read. He has read a few of these but I don't think he has tried the Seven Realms :)

Robin (Bridge Four) Nice. I hope he likes it.

Sean Barrs the Bookdragon great review- Loial is awesome.

Robin (Bridge Four) Loial is totally great. One imof my favorite characters

Carly I listened to this on Audible and I love Michael Kramer and Kate Reading. Such good voices and well done. I also wanted more for the women's Aes Sadia training. So fun to learn and I loved Nyneave's trails, which was probably my favorite part. She is one of my favorite characters and I want Lan to end up bonded with her so they can marry, but I do wish there would have been more chemistry and buildup.I agree that its annoying that all three of the girls like Rand. I would be fine with Egwene and Elayne (I want Rand to choose her as of right now) but I wish Min would choose someone else because they have had hardly any contact. Anyway, great review!

Robin (Bridge Four) Thanks Carly...the audible narration is soooo good.

Yeah Min doesn't get much page time until later but I love that she gets glimpses of the future.

Miche Two Rivers Idiocy! Best description ever! They drive me insane. lol