529_Quincy Owens's Reviews > Walking Through the Jungle

Walking Through the Jungle by Debbie Harter

4861955
Mar 09, 2011

bookshelves: week-10-international, week-5-latino-literature

Walking through the Jungle by Debbie Harter is a children’s book featuring an abundant amount of repetition and end rhyme to create a rhythm which will carry readers from beginning to end. The protagonist goes on an adventure around the world. I say around the world rather than jungle because at one point she finds herself being chased by a polar bear indigenous to polar regions. Additionally, she is featured riding a camel away from a snake in the desert. Harter dramatic verse is easy to follow and sure to capture the attention of any child the story is being read to. The reader can allow their child to practice predicting what is chasing our poor adventurer at each turn of the page. The vibrant illustrations which follow the story line seamlessly. If the reader becomes bored I would like to point their attention to the adventurer’s stint in the polar region. When the polar bear arrives the pelican is scared so much it actually drops lunch. Every animal in the picture is scared and frightened accept for the fish who is probably getting ready to make its get away. If you have an older child reading along this would be a great opportunity to infer why the fish may be happy while everyone else is not.

I would strongly recommend this book to students in kindergarten+. The book can also be useful in beginner Spanish classes where a teacher is trying to break his or her student’s dependency on a dictionary and increase their reading skills.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Walking Through the Jungle.