Reading Vacation's Reviews > The Gollywhopper Games

The Gollywhopper Games by Jody Feldman

Mar 09, 2011

Review available on Reading Vacation Blog. http://tinyurl.com/22tdfkh

There are two reasons I chose this book from the library shelf. One – a fun and colorful title and cover. Two – The Golly-Whoppers Games was a Texas Bluebonnet Award nominee for 2009-2010. Bluebonnet books are always winners for me!

This book tells the story of Gil Goodson, a tween boy who dreams big. Ever since his father has been falsely accused of stealing from the Golly Toy & Games Company, life has been miserable for Gil and his family. Gil sets out to save his family’s image by winning the Golly Whopper Games competition. If he wins, his family will have enough money to move away and start over. Hhmm, Gil’s last name is Goodson and he is a Good Son to his father – interesting.

The competition is held at the Golly Toy & Games Company, a magical and out-of-this-world toy company. I would SO love to work there as a toy tester! Jody Feldman has one amazing imagination to dream up such an enchanting place. The competitors must solve riddles, figure out puzzles, and keep their wits about them to win. I was on the edge of my seat to see who would win!

Other characters are introduced during the competition. They each have their own unique talents and personalities. My favorite was Liviana, who was the stereotypical smart girl. I didn’t care much for her mother because she put too much pressure on Liviana, but I think including her helped explain why Liviana was the way she was.

I totally recommend this book to kids of all ages! In fact, my little brother is reading it right now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gollywhopper Games.