Reading Vacation's Reviews > Kevin's Point of View

Kevin's Point of View by Del Shannon

Mar 09, 2011

liked it
Read from March 11 to 13, 2011

After his father’s death, Kevin allows his very active imagination to take over. He can take the most ordinary situation and turn it into something extraordinary. Kevin imagines that he is a superhero, a hockey player, a character called Marine Boy, and even an alien. It’s exactly the sort of thing I picture my little brother doing – pretending he is Super Mario or Pikachu from Pokemon. Kevin's craziness got on my nerves a bit sometimes because it was like he just couldn't be himself.

Kevin’s adventures really take off when a strange contraption called an Influxitron is delivered to his home. The Influxitron makes time travel possible. Cool. I was expecting Kevin and his friend Tony to have fun traveling to some exciting times in the past – maybe the dinosaur age or a war that boys would find exciting. And I REALLY expected them to travel into the future to see all the great new inventions.

But no, they decide to go back in time only one year to just before Kevin’s father died. Yes, it was sentimental and I suppose that it makes sense that Kevin would want to see his father alive again. I just couldn’t let go of wanting the boys to go on a wild time travel adventure.

The mystery of where the Influxitron came from and who it was really meant for was very well thought out. I really was surprised when Kevin solved the mystery. There’s no way I would have guessed the outcome and I like being surprised like that.

I think that perhaps this is a story that a middle grade boy may enjoy more. Hey, it’s not called Kevin’s Point of View for nothing.

RATING

3 So-So

COVER COMMENTS

My little brother who is nearly nine years old thought this cover was the best cover ever in the history of covers. Exactly as I expected – this book appeals to young boys with active imaginations like Kevin.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kevin's Point of View.