Reading Vacation's Reviews > My Unfair Godmother

My Unfair Godmother by Janette Rallison

My Unfair Godmother tells an especially sweet story. With retellings of Robin Hood and Rumpelstiltskin, this story is rich with make believe and it teaches some important lessons.

I met Chrissy in My Fair Godmother. She didn’t graduate from Fairy Godmother school, and let’s just say that her wish-granting skills are not the best. It seems that every wish she grants turns into a mishap with hilarious results. Chrissy is a lovable character that is flighty and sarcastic. She means well and all her antics had me laughing out loud.

Tansy is on the receiving end of Chrissy’s help, and there is no question that she needs help. Tansy’s parents have divorced, she is sent to live with her father, and she has even gotten arrested. Tansy is rebelling against her parents and she feels like her life is out of control. If anyone needs an Unfair Godmother, it is Tansy.

Tansy could also use a knight in shining armor and that just may be Hudson. He is the son of the police chief and he makes a big impression on Tansy when they first meet – and that may not be in a good way. Hudson is also struggling because his mother passed away and he is missing her. I liked that Tansy and Hudson shared similar feelings of loss and abandonment.

Tansy tries to make the most of her three wishes. First she wishes for Robin Hood to help her, then she wishes him back, and finally she wishes for wealth. This lands her in Rumpelstiltskin’s story. The fairy tale stories are written in such a cute way and I loved how Tansy and Hudson became a part of the stories. Janette Rallison’s light-hearted retellings read like childhood memories.

My favorite part of this charming story was the part where Tansy gives up something very meaningful to help Hudson. They both learned about the importance of family and that we have control over how we react to our situation.

RATING

5 Loved

COVER COMMENTS

Magical and enchanting! I love Chrissy’s pink hair and her fairy outfit is so cute. The golden apple represents Rumpelstiltskin’s story and is a nice touch. Isn’t it cute how Fairy is crossed out and Unfair is written in with a little star over it?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Unfair Godmother.

Started Reading