Trevor's Reviews > Atlantic: Great Sea Battles, Heroic Discoveries, Titanic Storms & a Vast Ocean of a Million Stories

Atlantic by Simon Winchester

Mar 09, 2011

bookshelves: history, science

I can't be objective about this guy. I listened to this as a talking book - and I just love this guy's voice. I could listen to him reading the telephone directory and still be fascinated. This is a 'let me tell you everything I know about the Atlantic' kind of book. He tries to give it a structure, but really, this is just someone very intelligent talking about something they are very interested in.

The stuff towards the end about the damage we are doing to the ocean - particularly the fish that once were there - is very disturbing. One of my favourite polymaths - and there is no higher praise than that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Atlantic.

Started Reading
March 3, 2011 – Finished Reading
March 9, 2011 – Shelved
March 9, 2011 – Shelved as: history
March 9, 2011 – Shelved as: science

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I agree.
He lives in a nearby town, I have heard him read several times, and yes, his books are as wonderful as his voice.

Haven't read this one yet.

message 2: by Eric_W (last edited Mar 09, 2011 07:19PM) (new) - added it

Eric_W I have listened to several of his books in audio and he reads most of them himself. I agree with your assessment of his mellifluous voice, but for some reason just could not get into the Krakatoa book. Not sure why, because i like his other stuff.

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I heard him read from that one at an event, but have never read all of it. 'The Professor & the Madman' is the one that hooked me.

Trevor I saw him at Melbourne Uni talking about his book on Joseph Needham - now I can't remember which books I've read and which I've listened to, but when I read him I hear his voice in my head.