Jaimella Shaikh's Reviews > 2000 Tunes

2000 Tunes by Karl Drinkwater

16161980

** spoiler alert ** After enjoying Cold Fusion 2000 so much I was looking forward to Drinkwater's next book and this didn't disappoint. It has everything I have come to expect from Drinkwater's writing. Dialogue that nails the metre and manic exuberance of the Manc tongue. Perfectly realised rudderless 20-somethings stuck in empty jobs and flats. A dash of magic realism in the form of a 'Kathy Burke impersonator in the flesh'. The obligatory dig at Stretford: 'Crammed by day, dead by night. Morrisey grew up in Stretford. No wonder he was miserable'.

Manchester music holds this book together as it holds Mark's life together. But dig deeper into this seeming love letter to the Manchester music scene and starts to read like an obituary. All the good music gone. The Hacienda closed. The Conti faded, captured here before the lights go out for the last time a year later.

Mark makes endless connections between the music he loves: 'It's like a pattern for me. It's all for me, it's all connected'. But these patterns form a web as sticky as that woven by his family that fixes him in the past so he can't see the future. He is ' Lost in music' and only when he realises that going over the connections is as futile as repainting double yellow lines on a transient skin of a city that doesn't care can he move on. Only then can he live the words of one of the bands he loves: 'The past was yours but the future's mine'.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 2000 Tunes.

Finished Reading