Nat's Reviews > A Darker Shade of Magic

A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab

bookshelves: diverse-reads

Magic was a living thing—that, everyone knew—but to Kell it felt like more, like a friend, like family. It was, after all, a part of him (much more than it was a part of most) and he couldn’t help feeling like it knew what he was saying, what he was feeling, not only when he summoned it, but always, in every heartbeat and every breath. He was, after all, Antari.

description
*This review contains spoilers.*

I just finished this book and my mind is all over the place.
I went into this book not knowing much about the plot except that it involved magic and that everyone seemed to love it.

A lot happened in this book, I’m not even sure where to begin.
A Darker Shade of Magic has amazingly complex characters (among my favorites: Prince Rhy, Lila Bard, and of course Kell) they made it impossible to put the book down.
This book was so original and creative. I had to stop everything I was doing and just finish it.
V.E Schwab's writing is outstanding.

description

Kell’s relationship with his brother was incredibly heartwarming. I love close families in YA books.

“Would you tell them?” asked Kell.
Rhy sighed. Kell watched him try to answer several ways before he finally said, “There is nothing I would not give you.”
Kell’s chest ached. “I know.”
“You are my brother. My closest friend.”
“I know.”

Also, can we talk about Holland?
When we first met Holland I thought he was going to be on Kell’s side. It seemed (to me) that underneath all the evil and pain that had gotten into his body, there was still a flicker of humanity. Unfortunately, I was wrong.
I’m kind of sad that he didn’t turn out to be like I originally thought- and watching him suffer at the hands of the Dane twins was extremely painful. I felt extremely relieved when Lila and Kell killed both of the twins.

“Holland knew. He’d seen the attack coming, and he hadn’t stopped it. The instant before the metal struck him from behind, Holland had stopped fighting. It was only a second, a fraction of a breath, but it had been enough to give Kell the edge, the opening. And in the sliver of time after the metal pierced his body, and before he fell, it wasn’t anger or pain that crossed his face. It was relief.”
I’m glad Holland got his peace.

I also loved loved loved reading from Lila’s point of view. I was anticipating the two main characters meeting right from the start- and it did not disappoint. The chemistry between Lila and Kell felt so real.

“How did you know?” she asked, looking down at the rubble of the queen. “How did you know she wasn’t me?”
Kell managed an exhausted smile. “Because she said please.
Lila stared at him, aghast. “Is that a joke?”
Kell shrugged slightly. It took a lot of effort. “I just knew,” he said.
“You just knew,” she echoed.”

Need the next book now.

Oh, and this song made my reading experience 10 times better (I’m still listening to it on repeat).

Support creators you love. Buy a Coffee for nat (bookspoils) with http://Ko-fi.com/bookspoils

This review and more can be found on my blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Darker Shade of Magic.

January 31, 2016 – Shelved
February 3, 2016 – Started Reading
February 3, 2016 –
page 107
February 4, 2016 – Finished Reading
December 13, 2016 – Shelved as: diverse-reads

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Radmila Great review, also <3 the song :D!

message 2: by Nat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nat Radmila wrote: "Great review, also <3 the song :D!"

Thank you so much! The song is still stuck in my head :)

✮ яιss This books was glorious!

Laura So glad you loved it as much as I did!

Fafa's Book Corner I'm happy to see that you liked it!

Great review :)