Kate's Reviews > My Name Is Memory

My Name Is Memory by Ann Brashares

Mar 09, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2015, age-adult, audiobooks

Daniel remembers every one of his past lives. For hundreds of years, he's been looking for the soul he calls Sophia, who he is in love with but never seems to find at the right time. Then, in this life, during high school, he finds Sophia in Lucy. Lucy has had a crush on Daniel for years, so when she ends up being stuck in a room with him during the senior party, she's excited, but when Daniel starts calling her Sophia she gets freaked out.

Three years later, a random visit to a psychic with friends leaves Lucy questioning whether Daniel was telling the truth. Now Lucy begins a journey to figure out her own past lives and reconnect with Daniel... only she doesn't realize that over his many lives, Daniel has also made enemies.

I was drawn in by the concept of the story - I guess I've always been a bit fascinated by reincarnation. The audiobook is narrated by a woman for Lucy's part of the story, in third person, and by a man for Daniel's first person narrations. While the story was interesting and enjoyable, I felt like I was waiting hundreds of years between that first encounter between Daniel and Lucy and when they finally find each other again - there are so many missed connections and misinformation that keeps them apart. I also felt like Lucy was a bit of an idiot (view spoiler). After a thrilling climax, I was anticipating a happy ending. But all I got was vagueness!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Name Is Memory.

March 9, 2011 – Shelved