Joan's Reviews > The Answer to How Is Yes: Acting on What Matters

F 50x66
Mar 09, 2011

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in February, 2011

I read Block in graduate school. Bought this because the title intregued me. His responses to How - literally changed the way I think about my life and decdisions I have made. He sees "How" as the way to avoid the deeper questions. Block is unusual in the field of business writers. All of his books look, without fail, at what how we work determines the depth of our soul. This one leaves me with the question "what matters?"

Below is the publisher's review.

...morePeople keep asking "How?" as a defense against living their life, says best-selling author Peter Block. In this witty, insightful award-winning book, Block shows that many standard solutions and improvement efforts, reinforced by most of the literature, keep people paralyzed. Here he places the "how to" craze in perspective and teaches individuals, workers, and managers ways to act on what they know. This in turn allows them to reclaim their freedom and capacity to create the kind of world they want to live in. Block's "elements of choice" - the characteristic of a new workplace and a new world based on more positive values - include self-mentoring, investing in relationships, accepting the unpredictability of life, and realizing that the individual prospers only when the community does.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Answer to How Is Yes.