Daniel Taylor's Reviews > The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For?

The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren

Mar 09, 2011

bookshelves: christian, foundational-self-help-books
Read in April, 2016

To be gay and Christian, as I am, means I consistently need to sell myself on my Christian commitment.

This book does an excellent job of selling me on an ideal version of Christianity that I can aspire to make real in the world.

Warren identifies five purposes for our lives that answer the age-old question, why am I here on earth? Those purposes are worship, fellowship, discipleship, service and mission.

He successfully provides enough of an entree to each of these areas that readers can take action on his teachings. As you apply his ideas, your experience and submission to God's will lead to growth.

For anyone who is a Christian, I suggest that this book is a once-a-year read.

Update: The only reason I've downgraded this book to four stars is that this updated edition of the book still refers to resources that are no longer available. Trust me; I've exchanged several emails with Saddleback Church trying to find them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Purpose Driven Life.

Quotes Daniel Liked

Rick Warren
“Fellowship is a place of grace, where mistakes aren't rubbed in but rubbed out. Fellowship happens when mercy wins over justice.”
Rick Warren, The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here for?

03/09/2011 page 22
7.0% "Life makes much more sense when we live for something beyond ourselves."
03/10/2011 page 36
11.0% "Day 3 has caused me to rethink what's driving my life. I think if I asked my friends and family, they'd say that I'm driven to succeed. I want the driving force in my life to be living for God."
03/11/2011 page 41
12.0% "Taking an eternal view — that I'll live far beyond 80 years — has helped me take a altogether different view of what activities to cull from my life and which to add."
03/12/2011 page 47
14.0% "Talking about life is a test and a trust, looking back I can see how God has sculpted my character over the past decade to care for my Grandma."
04/03/2011 page 53
16.0% "The past week as been uncommonly stressful. It's reassuring to remember life is temporary."
09/01/2011 page 63
19.0% "Even though I make time for a daily devotional and for prayer — and I do them sincerely — I find that most of the rest of my day I spend very little time thinking of God. Am I the only one?"
09/01/2011 page 69
21.0% "Today's study, Day 8: Planned for God's Pleasure, answered the question of how I can think of God more often through my day: as I go about my tasks and events, carry on a conversation with God."
09/02/2011 page 77
23.0% "What a startling insight! Through the act of us enjoying the creation, we bring pleasure to God."
09/03/2011 page 85
25.0% "Surrender is both a joy and a daily challenge; doing so offers puts you into deeper, stormy waters than you can manage on your own."
09/05/2011 page 92
28.0% "These practical tips on the lifestyle of worship will change how I relate to God. One I'm going to start today is setting an hourly alarm on my iPhone to remind me to say my hourly prayers."
09/15/2011 page 107
32.0% "My biggest challenge to wholehearted worship is my self-centredness. In corporate worship, I constantly dwell on my plans and worries."
09/18/2011 page 117
35.0% "On Saturday I was so in the dumps that I couldn't see anything to thank God for. The list on page 111 is a great resource for always having a reason to thank him."
09/20/2011 page 130
39.0% "One of the reasons I love this book is its practical realism. How do you love people more? Give them your time. How can you tell who you love the most? You spend the most time with them, giving them your focused attention."
09/22/2011 page 138
41.0% "It's necessary for us as Christians to belong to a local family of believers. We'll never find the perfect church, but we must practice love, caring for real people, not ideal people."
10/19/2011 page 145
43.0% "Fellowship happens in small groups. The absolute maximum for such a group seems to be 12, although 2-3 is enough. Christ promises to be present when 2 or 3 gather in His name."
09/09/2015 marked as: currently-reading
09/09/2015 page 22
6.0% "Tonight, my partner Josh and I committed to reading this book daily for the next 40 days."
04/29/2016 page 26
7.0% "At least this new edition arrived in today's post. From the get go, Warren shifts your focus from what you want to what God wants for your life."
04/29/2016 page 31
8.0% "I'm facing a number of challenges now, and it's reassuring to know that God doesn't consider me an accident."
05/01/2016 page 39
10.0% "To those who know me well... what would you say is the driving force of my life?"
05/02/2016 page 44
12.0% "If life is preparation for eternity, then what choices do I need to make differently now?"
05/02/2016 page 50
13.0% "I totally understand the power of a shift in mindset. Seeing life as a test, and a trust, brings an eternal perspective to each day."
05/06/2016 page 56
15.0% "At a time when my living situation is under threat, it's a nice reminder that no place on this earth is my home."
05/09/2016 page 65
18.0% "'Living for God's glory is the greatest achievement we can accomplish with our lives.'"
05/12/2016 page 87
24.0% "What area of my life am I holding back from God? Wanting to do things my way so I can feel comforted."
05/13/2016 page 94
26.0% "God wants to be your best friend. Do you let him fill that space in your life?"
05/14/2016 page 102
28.0% "Intimacy with God is your chief purpose, and the most rewarding way you can spend your time."
05/24/2016 page 132
36.0% "The lesson that love is the most important part of your life is hard to hear when you've failed in the most significant loving relationship you've had."
05/30/2016 page 140
38.0% "'The Christian life is more than just a commitment to Christ; it includes a commitment to other Christians.'"
06/25/2016 page 146
40.0% "I'm grateful to belong to a small group where we really care for one another."
06/26/2016 page 153
42.0% "I'm grateful that the way Warren describes small groups sums up exactly my experience of Connect Group at Bayside."
07/12/2016 page 171
47.0% "Ironic! Just as I'm looking for a new church closer to home, I'm reading about the importance of sticking with a church as you experience life together."
10/28/2016 page 211
58.0% "Reading this book helps awaken me to my highest self, prompting me to behave in more loving ways."
10/28/2016 page 287
79.0% "A key lesson I've been learning over the past week is repeated here: Think of yourself less; think of others more."
10/29/2016 marked as: read