CrystalBookSnob's Reviews > Vampire Academy

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Mar 08, 2011

bookshelves: favorites, reviewd

It took me a long time to pick up this book. I always saw it in the bookstore even before I read Twilight. I would get to the Young Adult section, look at the book cover, think that the girl on the cover looks like Angelina Jolie, grimace and continue down the isle. Needless to say, I’m not a huge fan of Angelina Jolie and it has stopped me from reading a book that is really good (don’t judge a book by it’s cover). I finally bit the proverbial bullet and I’m glad I did.

I really enjoyed reading this book and found it interesting and addictive. Although Richelle Mead did not go into the history of the Moroi (Mead’s version of vampires) or how they were created, she really leaves the plot open for the rest of the series. I also thought it was interesting that her vampires live almost a regular life span, as humans, and to become evil, a vampire must kill a human or another vampire to become immortal.

The relationship between Rose and Lissa is very intimate, almost as though they were an old married couple. Their bond is exquisite in which Rose can feel what she is feeling, knowing whether or not she is in danger.

The chemistry between Rose and Demitri is sizzling hot. He starts out as her mentor, wanting her to be the best that she can be and then defends her honor when rumor fly of her being a blood whore. How cute is that. All girls want their honor to be defended. Although it was great that he saved her from Natalie (turned Strogoi), I really wanted Rose to prove herself and kill her.

Overall, the story was great and I’m already thinking about getting the next one. It was very unexpected and tells a very different story of vampires. I recommend this book to those who like vampire books. It will not disappoint.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vampire Academy.