Julie Decker's Reviews > How Do You Spell G-E-E-K?

How Do You Spell G-E-E-K? by Julie Anne Peters

did not like it

Ann and Kimberly have been training as competitive spellers for ages, but now their studying camaraderie and even their friendship is threatened by one thing--or rather, one person. Homeschooled new girl Lurlene is assigned to Ann for mentorship, and everything about this girl is geeky--her appearance, her actions, even her laugh. At first Ann resents that sponsoring Lurlene is scaring away cute boys and interrupting spelling practice with Kimberly, but when she genuinely develops an investment in Lurlene, she wonders if they can't support each other without losing what matters to them.

I couldn't connect with these characters at all, and the writing seemed weirdly out of touch with what kids are actually like in public school. I didn't understand what ultimately made Ann decide to support Lurlene, because for a while it seemed like guilt and obligation and then a switch just flipped without the story saying what it was. Things just sort of happen, with coincidences controlling important circumstances pretty frequently and plot coupons pushing the entire action of the book. It isn't a surprise when the protagonist grows to like the geeky girl either, because I don't think there's ever been a book where "ew I have to mentor a geek OH NO MY REPUTATION" was the major conflict that didn't end in the "geek's" value as a person outweighing the need for the cute boy to ask you out. The spelling bee angle was also so much less interesting than it could have been; we only actually get to see the characters compete at the very end. I was really disappointed in this one, especially since this author has other books that I've loved to pieces.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Do You Spell G-E-E-K?.

January 29, 2016 – Started Reading