J.E.'s Reviews > Poems

Poems by C.S. Lewis

bookshelves: poetry

It was not until recently that I found Lewis had written poetry. Being not as well known for it, I did not expect it to be any kind of masterwork, and that was all one needs to remember to enjoy this. The poetry is still very good, but even more enjoyable. There are three things that really stand out to me:

1-Variety: Lewis writes his poetry on many different topics. From mythology to science and religion to philosophy. It was nice to find it well balanced enough that even though there are a couple topics I was not as thrilled with I loved the rest.

2-Humor: Something I rarely ever find is a poem that can actually make me laugh. Lewis has those poems here and there that catch you by surprise, making it impossible to hold in the laughter.

3-Personal: Much of the more personal poems Lewis goes into he keeps on very general terms. This makes it so that just about anyone could feel like it is something they would write. It really made his poetry touch me as strongly as some of my favorite poets.

You may not be so sure if you will enjoy his poetry, but you should try it. It is not a thick book, and there is enough variety that you will probably find something you can enjoy.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Poems.

March 8, 2011 – Shelved