Deborah E Kehoe's Reviews > Written in Red

Written in Red by Anne Bishop

F 50x66

bookshelves: audiobooks
Read 3 times. Last read February 24, 2021 to February 28, 2021.

From the first scene, as Meg Corbyn is running in the snow towards the lights of the Lakeside Courtyard, I was gripped with tension, my eyes moving rapidly over the words that would take me to the next step in this plot. When Meg meets shapeshifter Simon to apply for the Human Liaison job, this authors words filled me with hope that he would give it to her, to help keep her from the people chasing her. That was before I even knew what they all were! Anne Bishop set the stage for an amazing new world of shifters, vampires, elementals, etc. and most importantly what Meg is, a Cassandra Sangue.

Meg’s innocence in a world that she had only seen at a distance was the impetus that moved this story forward. Her relationship as the Human Liaison to the terra indigenes in this courtyard built from ‘entertaining’ human to ‘one of us’ was so deftly played that when Meg’s dangerous past makes a play against the residents in the Courtyard the lockdown against these intruders clanged loudly like an iron gate slamming shut. Surprising me with its resonance. It is always effective to see caring emotion displayed so strongly but when the history between the terra indigenes and humans has been filled with fear and hatred the strength of that caring becomes even more apparent. It makes me think Meg’s Human Liaison role may become something even larger. A Liaison for all humanity? I can’t wait to find out!

Admittedly, this is my favorite genre to read, but even a novice to a paranormal mystery would love the tense storyline, amazing characters and relationships built between these races. Prepare to see more reviews from this series, because I have moved them all up on my TBR list! ❤❤❤❤❤
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Written in Red.

January 29, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read