Agatha's Reviews > Double Fault

Double Fault by Lionel Shriver

F 50x66
Mar 08, 2011

liked it

Willy (female) has dreamed of being a professional tennis player for her entire life and has steadily worked her way up the rankings. She meets and marries Eric, who decided two years ago that he wants to learn tennis and is a scrappy but proficient player. But, after they marry, he enjoys a meteoric rise and, almost at the same time, Willy suffers a career-threatening injury. Willy is plunged into depression and wonders who she is if she does not have tennis. Although I couldn’t relate to the tennis part and sometimes just wanted to smack her and say, “Snap out of it!!”, I then reminded myself how I’d feel if this was something that was more important or relevant to me, and I could commiserate. It also reminded me of the sense of loss that some men can go through when they lose a job and cannot find a new one for a long, long time. The book mostly explores the toll this can take on a marriage and how one’s personal sense of loss can diminish one’s ability to give to the other, or even be the same person one used to be, and whether you can get through that as a couple.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Double Fault.