Drew Danko's Reviews > Blind Your Ponies

Blind Your Ponies by Stanley Gordon West

M 50x66
Mar 08, 2011

The only possible criticism is some might consider this book a bit sappy, but it felt good to me even if it was. I loved everything about the book. The plot revolves around a high school basketball team from a remote town in Montana. They are winless in 93 games and the town is as depressed as the players are. But changes occur that significantly impact the team, the town folk and the main character, their coach who has suffered a staggering loss earlier in his life and has continued to exist more as a ghost than a player in life.

The author is an excellent writer. His characters are fun and sympathetic, but each are struggling in their own worlds so are easy to identify with. He sneaks up on the chapter's or scene's theme which I found entertaining and tension building. You also get a feel for what life is like in a small,dead end Montana town where a highway goes to die as the author cleverly puts it. Even though the storyline is about basketball and love, there are many spokes of tension which connect to the hub of the story.

The overall theme is about dealing with loss--games,love,self esteem,participating in life. Do you just quit, just exist as a ghost or do you fight like the Man of LaMancha. Or do you do what the Crow Indian legend tells us--blind your ponies and run off a sixty foot cliff to join your loved ones.

Read the book to learn what the author thinks.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blind Your Ponies.

Started Reading
February 7, 2011 – Finished Reading
March 8, 2011 – Shelved

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan I completely agree with your review. I started reading it yesterday and am almost halfway through. When I reserved it at the library I wasn't even excited about it. I can't believe an older man can write a book that women like so well. He is an excellent author!

Parris Young Drew I thought your expression, "... there are many spokes of tension which connect to the hub of the story" is excellent writing! Wonderful. I also enjoyed the book and the somewhat simple writing.