Jackie's Reviews > Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal

Mar 08, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: novel, bookclub
Read from March 08 to 16, 2011

I so want to be friends with Biff. His sarcasm was after my own heart.
I was surprised this was chosen to be read for our bookclub. I would say that half of the group is still active in a church where the other half is not. I wasn't sure how well the discussion would be received or if the discussion would be completely awkward or not.

Nor did I expect this book to be such a faith builder for me. But honestly, it was. This book made Jesus so accessible. The whole time I was reading it, I kept thinking "what if this was true?" What if Jesus did sit with his best friend and killed lizards and then brought them back to life? What little boy with that power would not try that out himself?

With Biff's character, he portrayed what it would be like to have a friend who loved you unconditionally and would protect you from whatever life through at you. Who wouldn't want to experience a friendship like that? And yet, Biff was definitely not a saint. He had a ton of character flaws, but again, it made him real as well. As I was reading this book, I just kept thinking "you know, if Jesus loved Biff than I know he would love me too." Sarcasm- it was apparently made up by Biff in the early few years of the first century. Where would we be without it today?

I think we had a great and thought provoking conversation during bookclub. Some liked it where some did not. Pretty typical! Great conversation. And very respectful conversation. You cannot always say that, especially when religion is involved.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lamb.