Genesis Sheli (Whispering Chapters)'s Reviews > One True Loves

One True Loves by Taylor Jenkins Reid

This review was originally posted on Latte Nights Reviews.

I had predicated my life on the idea that I wanted to see everywhere extraordinary but I’d come to realize that extraordinary was everywhere.

Emma and Jesse met in high school and ever since then, they've been joined at the hop, hopelessly in love. They both get married and over the course of their marriage, they travel a lot for their travels. On the day of their anniversary, Jesse had to travel to Alaska and that's when Emma lost the love of her life. Emma doesn't know what to do with her life and she mourns for over 2 years. Now, she's reunited with Sam, someone who used to work at her parent's book store. Sam loved Emma then and he still loves her now. Giving herself the chance to find love again, she starts dating Sam and learns to love him. One day, she gets a phone call from Jesse saying he's alive and will be home soon.

I was so beyond conflicted over this story. I had no idea which way to go, what to think—my thoughts were a mess! Hell, I was a mess of emotions! I had no idea what to expect since I've never read a book by this author. Obviously, I need all of her books.

And then, slowly, day-by-day, minute-by-minute, at such a snail's pace that you can barely register that anything is happening at all, you find a life's purpose again.

I don't know why when I read adult books with these type of stories, they feel slow. This was so not the case with ONE TRUE LOVES. I felt like I read it in one sitting, which didn't happen because I read it over the course of 3 days (I was at a cruise). I was so invested, so attached to the characters, living their experiences with them, feeling what they were feeling, getting my heart-broken when theirs was broken... This story is very thought-provoking and very original. With all the marvelous quotes, there's one that spoke to me, which is the definition the author gave to "true love". You have to read this book to find out ;)

This is my first book by this author and it certainly won't be my last. I have a feeling that TJR's books are life altering. I say these because I feel like I've gotten a lesson with this story, which led me to reflect on my life, and cherish every moment.

It is hard to be so honest, so vulnerable, so exposed. But I find that it always leads you someplace freer.

I received an ARC for review from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.This review was originally posted on Latte Nights Reviews.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One True Loves.

Quotes Genesis Sheli Liked

Taylor Jenkins Reid
“Good things don’t wait until you’re ready. Sometimes they come right before, when you’re almost there. And I figured when that happens, you can let them pass by like a bus not meant for you. Or you can get ready. So I got ready.”
Taylor Jenkins Reid, One True Loves
tags: life

Taylor Jenkins Reid
“I had predicated my life on the idea that I wanted to see everywhere extraordinary, but I’d come to realize that extraordinary is everywhere.”
Taylor Jenkins Reid, One True Loves