Jake McCrary's Reviews > Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World

Deep Work by Cal Newport

bookshelves: non-fiction, read_2016, non-tech

This book has been on my radar since it came out earlier this year and I'm glad I finally got around to reading it. Without really knowing it, I went into this book already agreeing with some of Cal Newport's arguments as I've read and found compelling some of the sources for his book.

Before the rest of the review, let's look to the author's definitions of Deep and Shallow Work.

Deep Work: Professional activities performed in a state of distraction-free concentration that push your cognitive capabilities to their limit. These efforts create new value, improve your skill, and are hard to replicate.

Shallow Work: Noncognitively demanding, logistical-style tasks, often performed while distracted. These efforts tend to not create much new value in the world and are easy to replicate.

Newport, Cal (2016-01-05). Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World (p. 3, 6). Grand Central Publishing. Kindle Edition.

The first part of the book presents the idea of deep work and makes the case that it is valuable, rare, and meaningful. It is convincing the reader that there is a difference between deep and shallow work and that it is worth prioritizing deep work. It made a compelling case for deep work.

The second half of the book presents rules for prioritizing deep work and forming habits that encourage deep work. Some of these rules I've attempted in my life before. When I've followed parts of these rules I felt improvements in my life.

Reading this book made me think about different technology and distractions that have made their way into my life. I've taken extreme measures in the past, such as going back to a dumb phone for a while, to fight against addiction to distractions with pretty good success. I think it is time to look at various habits and rituals I have to see what I want to continue doing and what adds enough value to justify the time cost of continuing.

This is a great book. I'd highly recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deep Work.

January 28, 2016 – Shelved