Brenda A's Reviews > The Truth

The Truth by Jeffry W. Johnston

bookshelves: netgalley

This is a short quick read. Teen Chris wakes up strapped to a chair by Derek, a boy threatening to cut off Chris' fingers with garden shears. With an opener like that, how can you not be hooked?!

Obviously the best part was the tension and the build up. I wanted to know all about the big event, what actions led up to it and what actions followed it. We know right away what happened, and Chris is forced to divulge how shooting Derek's little brother effected his life. There's just one secret he can't give up.

The big bad secret was fairly obvious to me once I got halfway in. There were certain zingers the author threw in that just seemed super apparent. I somewhat felt like he was flashing a sign at me like, "Hey! Did you see what I did there? Did you see it? Do you get it?" and I was like, "Yeah dude, I saw! I get it! Probably shouldn't have made it so obvious though?"

The final scene was sufficiently dramatic, and I nodded in satisfaction when I was reading it. I wouldn't have liked it ending any other way, so to me this was far and away the best option.

Chris' relationship to his own brother is very much the focal point of the novel. Derek lost his brother when Chris shot him, so both he and Chris were very focused on Chris and his brother Devon. It made for a better build up, watching their relationship unfold after the cataclysmic event.

All in all, I really enjoyed it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Truth.

January 27, 2016 – Shelved