David's Reviews > Genesis

Mar 07, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: latin-american-lit
Read in February, 2011

First, I am white and second, the history I know about Latin America Is depressing in what we did to the natives. I am sorry for this. Reading this book, told in small segments or stories reinforced what the Europeans did to the Americans, was just painful. I started in earnst but after awhile it was shelved for anything happier. It took me about four months to read and was glad to finish it. One of those books that I am glad its out there but the guilt for being white is too painful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Genesis.

01/17 marked as: read

Jimmy For admitting vulnerability it's my opinion that you show strength in mind and consideration for others. This makes you no different from others who seek to make the world a better place than its history.

David Thanks Jimmy. History is painful but needs honesty and the willingness to move forward.

Luis Francisco Contreras Friend, I quite like your review of the book, but why give it two stars out of five?

David Hi Luis, perhaps I should give it a better rating. I certainly understand what he is pointing out (and I have tremendous empathy for the indigenous peoples of the Americas. It was just hard to read when one has so much guilt.