Amy Bailey's Reviews > The Wolves in the Walls

The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman

Mar 07, 2011

While Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean's style may not be for everyone, I thought this was a fantastic picture book for young people. Although, I don't think I, personally, would have enjoyed this as a child because the pictures would have creeped me out. For older children this is great. Strong, female protagonist who proves to her family that she is a problem solver. Poses a few questions that are worth reflection about fear and it's ability to cripple us. I also commonly find the theme in Gaiman's books about children not being taken seriously by adults. Perhaps this is explained by his own childhood, as a bright young man who felt he wasn't truly given credit for his talents and given the opportunities to explore those talents.

McKean's art is unbelievable. It would appear, though I'm not certain that he morphs together hand-done artwork and photography into a very realistic blend. It is very darkly illustrated, increasing the suspense of the narrative. Love this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wolves in the Walls.