TheBookAddictedGirl's Reviews > Stealing Phoenix

Stealing Phoenix by Joss Stirling

Mar 07, 2011

bookshelves: for-review, in-my-mailbox, action-adventure, amazing-worlds, british-fiction, dark-romance, fantasy, favourite-series, favourites-shelf, humour, magic, paranormal, read-2011, urban-fantasy, ya, re-reading, read-2017
Recommended for: Everyone! It's Just Incredible!
Read 2 times. Last read March 12, 2017 to March 16, 2017.

Phoenix is a thief, part of a secretive criminal group of Savants, known as the Community. Life for her is difficult, and failing a job could end in death – your own. So when a college boy seems to fight back against her powers during a run-of-the-mill theft, Phee knows how it can all end. Not well. Phoenix never expected the truth. But what will she do when the leader of the Community tries to use her against her soulfinder? And the whole of Savant Net?
Now, I read Finding Sky just a little while ago and adored it. I loved the world, the romance, the characters: everything. And I just couldn’t see how Stealing Phoenix was going to live up to it. I am ever so pleased to say that the sequel completely surpassed the first! There was more romance, more humour, more action, and more family drama. So, if you haven’t guessed yet: I loved Stealing Phoenix!
Once again, I have to applaud Joss on her amazing characters: they’re so believable and, well, amazing! Phoenix was a strong lead with the most incredible powers, which I won’t give away now – but let me tell you: I want them! Phee has been damaged by previous events, stealing only because she has to. Her life has been absolutely horrid, devoid of love, trust and normalcy. Her gifts are the one thing she can count on, the one stable thing throughout everything. For her, soulfinders are a myth, a pretty fairy-tale told to children to give them hope in an otherwise hopeless situation. But that changes when she meets Yves, quite possibly the most amazing boy out there – I mean, cute and clever? What more could a girl want in Prince Charming? But underneath the self-consciousness, however, there’s energy, an internal fire burning within. And, let me just add, he absolutely lives up to that “Yummy Yves” quote from Finding Sky: he’s perfect. When Phoenix and Yves were together I laughed and “ahh”ed: they’re so cute and so wonderful together! And, again, Joss Stirling managed to make the “soulmate” aspect completely and utterly believable.
Plus the family side – which was my favourite aspect of Finding Sky – was just as perfect as ever, and just as realistic. I felt the family bond, the familiar teasing which was so similar to that among my own family. The friendship between Phee and Sky was particularly special, as it was the first one Phee had ever had, something that really got to me. (What must it be like, to live eighteen years without a single true friend?) Then there’s the brothers; Trace through to Zed, because, after all, A-B-C-etc. is far too boring! Zed, in particular, absolutely kills me, though all the boys are hilarious: I love them to pieces! While we’re on the subject, could I have a Benedict? Please?
The plot was fast; I was dragged straight into the action. And from then on in, it was non-stop: I didn’t – couldn’t – stop reading. It just gripped me, and didn’t let me go until the very last word, which left me desperate for more.
Joss Stirling is fast becoming one of my favourite authors, and these two books about the Savants are definitely up there on my Top Ten list. The moment I put down Stealing Phoenix I felt the desperation inside of me to just pick it up and read it all over again. I am literally praying for a long, long, long series: I have to know if all of the brothers find their perfect soulfinder. Also, I’m not sure how long I can live without my favourite characters! An brilliant, fantastic book that is sure to have you dreaming about superpowers and telekinesis (in my dreams, I can read minds and lasso eggs).
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stealing Phoenix.

Quotes TheBookAddictedGirl Liked

Joss Stirling
“Soulfinders can't be bad for each other - they are each other. We aren't complete apart.”
Joss Stirling, Stealing Phoenix

March 12, 2017 – Started Reading
March 12, 2017 – Shelved as: re-reading
March 16, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
March 16, 2017 – Finished Reading

Mateja Awesome review. You made me anticipate the book even more :)