Lauren Hutchinson's Reviews > Unbearable Lightness

Unbearable Lightness by Portia de Rossi

Mar 07, 2011

bookshelves: autobiography

I read this book because I really like Portia (and I love a good title, I first saw her on Better off Ted, and then 'Arrested Development.'

This book was just so honest, I knew how she felt in probably the hardest part of her life. I have never been anorexic, but I think everyone, especially every girl, has been in a dark place.
I can understand why some readers were left a little unsatisfied. This isn't a whole study on body image or anorexia. She doesn't spend too much time on the recovery, but on how she got there.

I think this book is great because a lot of people don't realize that you don't wake up one day with a eating disorder, or with depression. The feeling that she explained so well, the feeling that you can't ask for help because you really aren't that bad. I had suffering from depression for a few years in high school, and the hardest thing was to admit it. How can I be depressed when I can smile sometimes. Also, the recovery is really a personal journey, which few interested in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unbearable Lightness.

March 7, 2011 – Started Reading