Meg M's Reviews > Homer & Langley

Homer & Langley by E.L. Doctorow

Mar 07, 2011

This book presses in on me. In a bad way, like walls closing in. I finished it an hour ago, tossed it on the nightstand and turned out the light. And I couldn't sleep; all I could think was how scary and wrong and inevitable the ending was. I close my eyes and see the world through Langley's mad eyes and then my own eyes fly open again. It's keeping me up tonight, this tale of two brothers. I didn't like the story. I didn't like the constant invasion of space that heaped up throughout the book. I read to escape my problems, not to be reminded of the ones I'll always have and the new ones that keep piling on.

It's a credit to the author that this book has this effect on me. I would recommend it to no one because it's not the sort of thing people like to read about. I'm giving it five stars because it's so rare that a book has such a quiet, relentless force as to make me lie awake seething. Don't read this if you value your mental well-being. Do read it if you value a well-told tale.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Homer & Langley.

March 7, 2011 – Started Reading
March 7, 2011 – Shelved
March 21, 2011 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Alesia (new)

Alesia Whoa--I'm intrigued. Why do you tell this child to not touch the cookie, you know I'm going to have to now.

message 2: by Meg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Meg M Don't blame me when you read it. You want my copy? I have to go to the post office tomorrow anyway. PM me your address.

message 3: by Alesia (new)

Alesia Sent

Diane Stavrum We'll said! I gave it one star.