Lit Coven's Reviews > The Witch Hunter

The Witch Hunter by Virginia Boecker

bookshelves: series, 2018-read, main-reads

The Witch Hunter was a fun, fast read, and an absolute delight for our Coven to read!

Not only did we dig the characters and the plot, but it was filled with herbs and spells and astrology...pretty much all of our favorite things. It’s clear the author did her research.

Our main girl, Elizabeth begins as a witch hunter herself, but when her life turns upside down and it is a witch who saves her, she’s forced to take a long hard look at the world around her.

At her core, Elizabeth is a product of her upbringing. The witch hunters are the only family she’s ever known. She’s been indoctrinated into this hatred against witches and we really appreciated her struggle to reconcile that to the good witches she came to know.
“Do what feels right to you, in whatever circumstance you find yourself in, even if it seems improbable or even impossible. And have faith. Everything else will follow.”

It’s also really interesting to read a book about magic from the perspective of a regular human. Seems to be more common for the main character to find out that they too can wield magic, and and have to switch sides.

Black heart eye emojis...
John was such a refreshing love interest! He was strong, quiet, steady, and kind. He never tried to steal the show. He never swooped in to solve all of Elizabeth’s problems. He never tried to tell Elizabeth who or what she should be or do. He was him and she was her and they worked.

Some of our ladies did struggle a bit with how easily they moved passed Elizabeth’s past though. They never really seemed to struggle with the face that she had been part of a cause that tore John’s family apart.

Nicholas gave us all the Dumbledore vibes. He was patient and kind and wise...Come to think of it, he also felt a bit like Gandalf, always knowing more than he let on.

Good v. Evil
The goodness of the witch troup Elizabeth falls into was the perfect counter to the hate she was used to. It would’ve been easy to write them as bitter, hateful, and angry at their suppression, but instead, they were kind and forgiving. They trusted and loved each other. They accepted Elizabeth into their fold with warmth and generosity, despite bumps as they learned more about her past.

It provided a powerful contrast to what she thought was good and right in the world.

And this is where The Witch Hunter really shined...in the relationships between the characters. The friendship between Fifer and Elizabeth, is grudgingly formed but built on respect. The love between Fifer and Nicholas, and Peter and John, is sweet and endearing.

It is the goodness of the people that shows Elizabeth the way forward.

Kingslayer kicks all the ass and we recommend you check it out. The author and her characters show so much growth and will totally tug at your heartstrings. (If you have any that is. We cut ours out a long time ago.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Witch Hunter.

January 26, 2016 – Shelved