Cindy Falteich's Reviews > The Stranger In My Recliner

The Stranger In My Recliner by Doreen M. McGettigan

Jan 26, 2016

The intricate narrative of how a homeless stranger came to be a roommate, how it affected their lives and how it set the author on her own journey of discovery, give the reader an intimate look at the face of aging, families and, of course, the worst case scenario. Fully researched yet personally poignant, “The Stranger in My Recliner” opens your heart to one woman’s descent into homelessness and the complicated spiral of services that failed.

In the end, it's evident that the state of mental health services sometimes leaves only two options for caregivers and their struggling family members: wash their hands of it or live with them tied. The red tape surrounding services for mental illness can also prevent those afflicted from getting effective help, even when the best intent is at heart. The author makes it evident that for every person on the street with no where to call home, there’s a story.

I commend her for taking responsibility. It was the ultimate act of kindness. Great story!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stranger In My Recliner.

January 20, 2016 – Started Reading