Vickie's Reviews > The Stranger In My Recliner

The Stranger In My Recliner by Doreen M. McGettigan

Jan 26, 2016

Doreen McGettigan’s book, The Stranger in My Recliner, is an aptly titled book chronicling her and her husband’s decision to take in an elderly homeless lady.

Doreen pulls no punches as she takes a hard look at how the situation affected her and her family. She takes a painful and honest look at the myriad of emotions that came with trying to help Sophie: everything from pity to frustration to joy. You can tell that Doreen cares. She never flinches when it comes to asking hard questions either. She asks the reader what they would do if they were to come across Sophie. What can we do as a society? How can we do a better job when it comes to taking care of our homeless and our elderly?

I highly recommend this book for anyone who is interested in fixing a system that is broken. For anyone who wants to help the homeless or the elderly or both. This book does a good job of putting the reader into that situation and showing them how it feels to have that responsibility and to have to maneuver through a system that is busted at the same time. This book challenges us to do better as individuals and as a society. This book challenges us to be part of the solution: to make the world a better place for the homeless and the elderly.

In the interest of full disclosure I was sent a review copy of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stranger In My Recliner.

January 11, 2016 – Started Reading