Lara's Reviews > Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World

Deep Work by Cal Newport

liked it

Many good pts, but barely any women and a single unneeded Trump reference

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deep Work.

Finished Reading
January 26, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
January 26, 2016 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

Sarah Seriously, I think the only woman he talks about is J.K. Rowling.

Myfanwy Seconded. He is not trying very hard to present examples of successful women at all.

Dean Rizzetti Thirded.

Rhiannon Marshall This was my exact thought as I read this book. Where are all the women? And the, largely, male examples given of taking a leisurely Sunday stroll or working from 5-7am are completely unrealistic for a working mum.

David Fourthed. I was also very disgruntled by the fact that he not once mentions children, or how children might work deeply. What about successful children? Not one example. I'm worried that he is actively harming children's will to engage in deep work.

Susan I, too, noticed the lack of women. So few that by chapter three I started taking notes.

David There is no value to this book unless there is complete and exhaustive representation of all groups of people, real or imagined, imo.

Myfanwy David wrote: "There is no value to this book unless there is complete and exhaustive representation of all groups of people, real or imagined, imo."

No, but better representation of 50% of the labor force might lend some added value, iMo.

Myfanwy David wrote: "Fourthed. I was also very disgruntled by the fact that he not once mentions children, or how children might work deeply. What about successful children? Not one example. I'm worried that he is acti..."

oh honey

David We can all agree that matching hypothetical demographics for each ancillary case study in this book is very important for empathizing with, or even being able to understand what the book conveys.

Myfanwy 😂 I can't help it I like you David

Niall I hated the Trump mention. I do not associate him with wealth. More like idiot.