Melissa Simmons's Reviews > Greta and the Goblin King

Greta and the Goblin King by Chloe Jacobs

bookshelves: blog-tours

Greta and the Goblin King is the first book in the Mylena Chronicles, a dark YA fantasy series by Chloe Jacobs. I was surprised I'd never heard of this series before I saw the sign up for this tour, I love this genre and I'm constantly on the hunt for new books to read. I knew just from the blurb that I was most likely going to love this book and I was not wrong.

Mylena is a realm of goblins, ghouls and ogres where humans are reviled and hunted. To add to the uncertainty, the creatures that reside there are at the mercy of the moons when they eclipse. The main character, Greta, a 17-year-old human girl, is trapped there, and we see the story unfold from her point of view. I was captivated from the very first page, drawn instantly into the constant danger of Greta's world. Greta spends her life in disguise, trying to hide what she is while she makes her living as a bounty hunter. In her work, she crosses paths and swords with all manner of beings, one of them being the brand new goblin king, Isaac. Only she can't tell if he's a friend or foe and neither can her heart.

I absolutely loved this book from start to finish, it was a nonstop roller coaster ride of emotions. I laughed, cried, gasped, and even said 'eek' a few times while reading. (And was laughed at by my husband, of course) The story was fantastic; richly detailed and brilliantly written. It's an enthralling read, unique and compelling, with humor and twists woven in masterfully. I was hooked by the story immediately, drowning in the suspense the author built as the eclipse drew nearer and Greta's world got turned on its ear again. I was completely engrossed. I simply could not put it down. We don't do spoilers here so I really can't say much more beyond you do not want to miss this book. I will be buying the entire series in paperback to add to my shelf so I can read and find out what happens next!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Greta and the Goblin King.

January 26, 2016 – Started Reading
January 26, 2016 – Shelved
January 26, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
January 26, 2016 – Shelved as: blog-tours
January 26, 2016 –
page 40
13.11% "This book is addictive. I started reading to help me pass the time before falling asleep and before I knew it I was fighting to stay awake so I could keep reading. I didn't want to put it down."
January 30, 2016 –
page 206
67.54% "ALL the feels! This book is absolutely captivating!"
January 30, 2016 –