Lyn's Reviews > Staked

Staked by Kevin Hearne

liked it

I guess I’m a Kevin Hearne groupie.

I’ll join the fan club, wear a T-shirt, hang out at his booth at Comic Con, get a tattoo – well, no, I’m not getting a tattoo.

But I PRE-ORDERED this. I don’t think I’ve ever done that before. Sure, I’ve went to the store and picked up a copy as soon as it was on sell, but I was like the people camped out at Wal-Mart. I couldn’t wait!

Staked, his 2016 Iron Druid novel and 8th novel in the series (there are also several short stories and novellas - and yes, I’ve read them all) brings us once again into the AWESOME urban fantasy world of Atticus O’Sullivan, Oberon the Irish Wolfhound, Granuaile MacTiernan and (rapidly becoming my favorite character in the series) Owen Kennedy.

And vampires. Lots and lots of bloodsucking, nocturnal, undead and foppishly coutured vampires. And werewolves and ghosts and witches and gods and dwarves and trolls, etc etc.

There is much good ole Irish ass-kicking and undead staking.

And I do mean OLD Irish. Atticus is a two thousand year old druid, which in kind of a weird irony means he’s pre-pre-Irish. The historical quality of his heritage means that he’s not really Irish in the sense that we know the folks from Dublin and Galway and Cork. He’s very early Celt or Gael and then just stuck around and fit in with the crowd that would eventually become what we know as Irish today.

I think it is this ancient linear connection that draws me again and again to the series.

That and Hearne’s addictive writing.

So, Atticus has drawn the ire of the world’s vampires and Hearne has been leading to this for a while. As a druid, he has a special ability to “unbind” the unnatural dead. For this reason, centuries before, the vampires had manipulated the Romans to hunt down and destroy all of the druids. Except for Atticus. And here we are.

The key to the success of this series has always been Hearne’s combination of Neil Gaiman’s American Gods and Jim Butcher’s Dresden Files and Staked makes the best of both inspirations. There are more than enough connections to world mythology and to cool druidic power, but there may have been a meeting with the publisher where more action was discussed.

Staked is action packed from cover to cover. This is like a Schwarzenegger flik, and the subject matter fight with thousands of vampires provides plenty of opportunity for blood and guts.

Good fun.

And we finally learn why Atticus does not want to be Nigel in Toronto.

description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Staked.

January 26, 2016 – Started Reading
January 26, 2016 – Shelved
January 30, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Lyn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lyn Could not get an advance copy so I pre-ordered and started off this morning as soon as it was released.

message 2: by Bradley (last edited Jan 30, 2016 08:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bradley So glad you enjoyed it! :) :)

Atticus is pretty damn badass. :) But I'm also going by the tone of your review. Only 3 stars?

message 3: by Lyn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lyn Thanks Brad, yeah, gotta love this series. I blazed through it and now I guess I'm waiting a year for the next one, ha! That's the price you pay.

I really like how he has expanded the story base with the inclusion of new characters and the promise of more. I think this is one of the better ones.

I created a listopia and am curious what you think of it.

Best Iron Druid novels

Jessica Macri agreed, only 3 stars? wut?

message 5: by Lyn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lyn That's just me Jessica, I tend to be harder on later books in a series because I cannot give them an originality vote - generally speaking. I have and will give higher ratings for later books, but just tougher and I tend to rate lower anyway.

All that said, I really enjoyed this book and love the series and will continue to read any and all that Hearne puts out.

Tracy Hey I need help please from you all who already read Staked! I started to read it and it says at the beginning that you should really read Prelude to War first. Do you think this is necessary? I would like to read prelude to war but I can't find it anywhere. Any suggestions for me would be appreciated ! Thanks!

message 7: by Lyn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lyn It's in the anthology Three Slices, which has a couple of other very good novellas.

If you're familiar with the Iron Druid Chronicles, it may be helpful to read Prelude to War, but not absolutely necessary. Hearne is better than most in being able to tell a self standing story, related to previous works but not an absolute continuation.

message 8: by Mitch (new)

Mitch Moore In your review, could you please at least say something about why you are rating at 3 stars and not at least 4. Your review gushes of 5-star goodness, but you've chopped 2 of them off for who-knows-why. A good review would cover that, don't you think? Being "hard on a book" just for the sake of being hard on it doesn't make any sense.