Allison's Reviews > Chime

Chime by Franny Billingsley

Mar 06, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy, literary, strong-female-lead, ya-teen, undying-love

I love this book. I'm in love with this book. I want to reread it again immediately. I don't ever want to put it down and I'm having fantasies of toting it about my pocket for days to come. Please please please don't let the cover fool you. (God, what a horrible cover!!) This book is nothing like all those other vampire, warewolf, fill-in-the-blank teen romances out there filling the shelves. This book is on another plane entirely.

The narrative voice and writing is beautiful. Utterly fantastic. (I'm not at home right now, but as soon as I am I'm going to post an example.) And the story is a wonderful mix of plot-driven twists and turns (many of which I didn't see coming until the very end) and more literary, character psychology driven passages. Which is to say that this book walks the fine line between YA and Adult fiction, my favorite kind of book. And the landscape of this story - the town of Swampsea and the swamp of Swampsea and the Old Ones (contemporaries of the fae and the changelings) who live within it - is wonderfully and uniquely atmospheric and evocative and gothic.

I won't repeat the plot summary here, just please be advised when you read the stock summary that this book cannot be boiled down to a romance. Yes, there is a love interest, but it's the most mature love interest story that I've read in YA fiction in a long time. And this book is about way more than that. It's about Briony uncovering and undoing the psychological damage of her past, it's about Briony coming to terms with her self-hatred and poisonous negativity, it's about Briony learning to love herself and believing that she can be loved. So please read this book, and maybe send a petition in to the publisher to get the cover changed.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chime.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, now I want to read this :3 If I don't like it, I'll just blame you, LOL!

message 2: by Allison (last edited Mar 06, 2011 08:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Allison hehe :) That's why I'm always nervous about really raving about a book. I know there's got to someone out there who won't like it. But I really did love this book. Hopefully you will too! And Billingsley is a great author. She wrote Well Wished and The Folk Keeper, which I think were both well acclaimed.

message 3: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah awesome! i'm so glad you liked it! maybe i'll give it a try now that I know it's worth it. =)