Pat Loughery's Reviews > The Wisdom of Stability: Rooting Faith in a Mobile Culture

The Wisdom of Stability by Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove

2319365
Mar 06, 2011

> 5 stars. This is Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove's best book yet.

JWH writes reflecting on the Benedictine understanding of stability as a spiritual growth practice. The book is beautiful, simple, homespun and wise.

My doctoral dissertation is about learning from monastic wisdom for socially networked and mobile culture. I appreciate JWH's take on this topic, and even though I've submitted my 2nd draft already, I'm going to be using a lot of his work in the dissertation and in courses I'll teach on spirituality in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wisdom of Stability.

Quotes Pat Liked

Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove
“As participants in a mobile culture, our default is to move. God embraces our broken world, and I have no doubt that God can use our movement for good. But I am convinced that we lose something essential to our existence as creatures if we do not recognize our fundamental need for stability. Trees can be transplanted, often with magnificent results. But their default is to stay.”
Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove, The Wisdom of Stability: Rooting Faith in a Mobile Culture

Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove
“Staying, we all know, is not the norm in our mobile culture. A great deal of money is spent each day to create desires in each of us that can never be fulfilled. I suspect that much of our restlessness is a return on this investment.”

Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove
“For the Christian tradition, the heart’s true home is a life rooted in the love of God. Like Lao-tzu and Dorothy both, Christian wisdom about stability points us toward the true peace that is possible when our spirits are stilled and our feet are planted in a place we know to be holy ground.”

Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove
“We learn to dwell with God by learning the practices of hospitality, listening, forgiveness, and reconciliation—the daily tasks of life with other people. Stability in Christ is always stability in community”
Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove, Wisdom of Stability: Rooting Faith in a Mobile Culture

Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove
“To climb ever closer to God is not to move away from our troubled and troubling neighbors, but closer to them.”

March 6, 2011 – Shelved
March 31, 2011 –
page 32
April 4, 2011 –
page 52
31.71% "Very important book for those of us always looking for the next thing elsewhere. LOVE this."
April 11, 2011 –
page 81
49.39% "I so love this book."
April 14, 2011 –
April 19, 2011 –
page 122
April 19, 2011 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Pat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pat Loughery The Kindle editio of this book is currently $0.99 for a few days. VERY worthwhile.