Laurie's Reviews > Margaret Bourke-White and the Dawn of Apartheid

Margaret Bourke-White and the Dawn of Apartheid by Alex Lichtenstein

Jan 25, 2016

bookshelves: first-reads

As most of my friends know, I love learning about history so I was thrilled to win a copy of this book through Goodreads. A detailed looked at the work of famed photographer Margaret Bourke-White, this book details the travels and work of Bourke-White who worked for Time magazine from its first edition. Bourke-White offers an incredible look at the reality of Apartheid South Africa. The book explores not only her work in Africa, but shows her development as one of the prominent photographers of the 20th century. From her coverage of the poverty in the deep south of America in the 1930's, to the German surrender and liberation of Buchenwald Concentration camp at the end of World War II, Bourke-White was a witness to some of the most brutal events in recent history. Although the writing was a little dry and academic at times, I thoroughly enjoyed this look at the life and work of an amazing woman.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Margaret Bourke-White and the Dawn of Apartheid.

January 25, 2016 – Shelved