Judi's Reviews > Breaking Free

Breaking Free by Cherise Sinclair

Mar 06, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, bdsm, e-book, erotica, march
Read from March 20 to 25, 2011

This is the third book in the Masters of the Shadowlands series and if possible it was the best one yet. The storyline was more complex with the added element of suspense which as a romantic suspense junkie I really enjoyed. If possible the Dom/s scenes and sex were some of the hottest ones yet...they were off the chain...errr wait there were chains involved more than once and a whole lot more. One thing Sinclair does in her stories that I like is to not repeat the same “types” of scenes in each book - there’s always a new variation to captivate and titillate. In addition to being some of the most gorgeous, intuitive and alpha men on the planet - these Masters are very inventive when it comes to playing games and doling out punishment. Somebody turn on the fan - it’s getting hot in here!

Beth is on the run and hiding from her abusive and sadist ex-hubby who really did some nasty things to her in the role of her Dom during their marriage. She’d tried leaving him once before and that didn’t end too well for her and her body carries the scars as a constant reminder. She’s scared about being discovered by her ex but she refuses to stop living. Beth displayed an inner strength I admired while trying to make a go of it on her own with a small landscaping business and wow what a surprise that one of her clients is Club Shadowlands.

When Beth decided to dip her toes back into BDSM game I was sorta skeptical on how she would ever allow herself to let go and be dominated and trust anyone again to the level that is required in a Dom/s relationship considering what her Ex had done to her. I really feared for Beth at first and her return to the BDSM scene, but considering she was at the Shadowlands - I knew she was in “good hands” and those hands don’t come any better than attached to the oh so yummy Master Nolan. Not to sure what Sir would feel about me describing him as yummy - but he is!

I came to the realization that Beth was a sub at heart. It was a position she enjoyed and a lifestyle she was comfortable living and just because her previous relationship had been a train wreck - her desire to return to her roots was understandable. I realized it would be no different than a straight woman in an abusive relationship - she wouldn’t turn into a lesbian or a homosexual man wouldn’t turn straight. The heart wants what the heart wants and Beth wanted to be dominated.

As I stated earlier I loved the added element of the suspense. Knowing Beth’s husband was out there looking for her and it was only a matter of time before he found her kept me turning the pages...ohhhhh that and a lot of other things made me race through this book. Let me just say that Master Nolan knows how to throw an intimate house party with some pretty hot and sexy party games *fans self* *fans self* *fans self*.

Finally I was over the moon at the ending. Justice was served and if this had been a movie, then the theatre-goers would have been standing and cheering at the end. What goes around, comes around loser ex-hubby!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breaking Free.

03/20/2011
15.0% "Oh my gosh what has Beth gone through? Her past is making me afraid for her."
03/22/2011
40.0% "Definitely a unique way to "decorate" the bar and drink your beer! HAWT!"

message 1: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen I LOVED these books. Wiat till you get to Cullen next. He was my fav! :)

Judi Oh my gosh these books are so damn hot! I need a little break before I start another one. Cullen's next? I'll be checking his story out later today LOL!

message 3: by Jen (last edited Mar 27, 2011 01:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Totally agree on the hotness!!! But I couldn't STOP reading them. Oh and then the fifth one, Marcus, is so good too because there is a story within the main story about Master Z and Jessica. Soooooo good.